"Come on." I huffed, grabbing Newt's hand.

"What are you doing?" He asked, following me, a bit hesitantly.

"I'm talking to Ava. This is crap. It's messed up, and.....and you're coming with me whether they like it or not."

Newt shook his head. "No. Emmy, all you're going to do is make it so you can't go either. You know that, right?"

"That's not happening. I'll hack into the computers and find out where the safe haven is if it comes down to it." I mumbled, making my way over towards the WICKED guards at the doors.

"I need to talk with Ava."

"Sorry, you'll have to wait. Ava isn't available." One of the guards replied.

"Let me through. She'll talk to me." I tried again, and the guard just shook his head.

"Emmy, come on, let's go talk with the others. We can figure this out." Newt put a hand on my shoulder, trying to steer me away, but I just shrugged off his hand.

"I'm not leaving until I talk with Ava." I said firmly.

"I always knew you were stubborn." Her voice came from behind the guards. They both turned, stepping aside slightly as she made her way down the hallway and into the room.

"I figured that we would have some complications. Of course you would be at the root of them." Ava sighed.
"Come along. Let's get this over with."

I let out a sigh of relief, grabbing Newt's hand again and pulling him past the guards into the hallway. The guards gave us a dirty look, which I eagerly returned.

We followed Ava to her office, which was an interesting experience. I had been in that room many times before, but it was the first time I had entered the room when the hallways were completely empty, and silent.

"So, you have complaints with the new addition to our testing?" Ava sighed, closing the door behind her after all three of us were in the room.

"Yeah, I do. What's the deal with the whole "6 months out of the simulation" rule?" I asked, folding my arms over my chest.

Newt sat on one of the chairs across from Ava's desk, but sat in the arm if he chair and not the seat as if he was ready to leave in a moments notice.

"That was something Janson came up with. We want to continue the trials here in the labs for a few more months. He thinks we're close to a cure."

"So why keep some of us? Why not all of us? Why split us up?" I questioned. Ava sighed as if she was bored and sat forward in her seat.

"I'm afraid it's quite simple. Those of you that age been here for a longer period of time are producing less of the antibodies needed to fight the flare. It's most likely from an abundance of testing." She turned to Newt.
"However, those that are new to the testing are producing better results. In short." She looked back at me again. "You're not as valuable to us anymore."

"So that's it? Newt is being forced to stay here?" I said, shaking my head.

"Yes, that's the plan. Since we would like to continue testing, he will stay, along with the others. We're trying to find a cure, Emmy, so if we manage to find something within a few months, the others will be allowed to join you."

"And if you don't find a cure?" I asked skeptically, squinting my eyes slightly.

Ava sighed. "Then Janson believes we move on to further testing. However, that testing has a much lower rate of survival."

"To hell with that!" I protested. Ava just rolled her eyes, and Newt scratched the back of his neck like he was debating on saying something.

"Our decision is final, Emmy. Unless you'd like to stay in Newt's place, but you've been here long enough, haven't you?" She spat the words out, and it just made my blood boil even more.

"I'll stay."

"No, you won't." Newt said firmly, then addressed Ava.
"Not happening."

"Then I guess we will proceed as planned. In one week, Emmy, you will be sent to the safe haven. Newt will stay here until further notice."

I sat there, quietly fuming, until Newt grabbed my hand.

"Thank you for letting us know what's going on." He said quietly. He stood up, wrapping an arm around my side as we turned to leave.

I bit my tongue, forcing myself to stay quiet as Newt opened the door.

"There is one more thing." Ava mentioned, clearing her throat.
"We received a message that one of our test subjects managed to access one of our classified files. Janson may have been urged to change our plans for the future because of this." She stood up, walking around her desk.
"Now, whoever had something to do with that would be likely to react a bit....skeptically to the announcement today, wouldn't they? I know I would if I thought something different was happening. I may even have questioned one of the authorities."

My heart thudded in my chest, but I nodded slowly.
"I suppose so."

Ava hummed in approval, and nodded quietly.
"Well, I'm sure whoever that is will have a wonderful time considering what would have happened if they minded their own business. Nothing like the feeling of self-blame, right?"
She glanced right at me, then turned to Newt.

"Well, I'll let you two go. Have a nice week."

And with that, we left, and she locked the door behind us.