2-Ned

Peter had been feeling a little bit off.

And by a little bit off, he means awful. Dreadful. Dead on his feet.

Ned knew something was utterly wrong from the moment Peter stumbled into school Wednesday morning.

The older of the two, Ned, sighed when he saw his best friend.

"What are you doing?" He demands, stalking over to Peter's locker.

"What do y'mean?" Peter says, eyes glazed and red-rimmed as he looks over at Ned.

"You look awful. Did something happen on patrol?"

"Didn't go on patrol. Fell asleep."

"You fell asleep? Before patrol?" Ned says. This definitely means something's wrong. Really wrong. Peter never skips Patrol.

"Yeah... Didn't mean to. Was just tired. Class?" Peter says, trying to force energy into his body.

It doesn't work though and Ned takes his books from him to lessen the weight of his friend's arms, enough that it doesn't drag him to the floor.

*

Ned keeps a careful eye on Peter as the day progresses. And Peter seems to just be getting worse and worse.

He's gone from sheet white to a slightly greenish gray color. He can't seem to focus on anything, eyes glazed and looking through everything. Slurring through the sentences he manages to get out of his throat. Sometimes sweating, sometimes shivering. Almost falling asleep in class. Coughing.

Ned would've guessed a really bad case of flu, but Spider-Man can't get sick, right?

So he does the only logical thing he can think of. Pickpocket Peter and call Tony Stark during break between classes while MJ's watching over Peter.

"What's up, kid? Calculus problems?" Tony teases upon answering the phone.

"Actually, it's Ned. Ned Leeds. Peter's best friend?" He offers, voice dropping a little as people walk by.

"Oh. Is Peter okay? Is everything alright?" Tony says, the music on the other side turning off as he focuses his attention on the phone call.

"I didn't think it was possible for him to get sick, but he seems really sick. Like the flu? I'm not sure. He's really out of it. He skipped patrol last night to sleep. I tried convincing him to call May at lunch, but he was really adamant that she can't know because she's been working overtime since their rent went up at their apartment, and he doesn't want to bother her in that stupidly selfless way of his. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with him, but I'm not sure if he should still be at school. He's being really stubborn."

"Okay, slow down a second. What am I supposed to do about a sick teenager? I can't just steal him from school," Tony questions.

"You're one of his emergency contacts," Ned responds. There's a tense beat of silence. "You didn't know... The teachers have been giving Peter a rough time lately about that. They were hassling May to put down a second emergency contact for Peter and because she's all he's got, she put down your contact. Nobody believed him. They've been trying to get him to give up his lie recently. That's why he's had so many detentions."

"I'll deal with all of that later. But even if I am legally allowed to take Peter out of school, I have no idea how to take care of a sick kid."

"I don't know. Figure it out. It can't be that hard. I'm just worried Peter's going to either pass out or throw up any minute now. Maybe both."

"Fine, Fine, Fine. I'm on my way."

*

Tony had no idea what he was doing. But apparently he's got no choice. So he marches into the front office of Midtown high.