Chapter 31

Warning sad chapter. Sorry guys.

Ben POV

I couldn't believe what my dad just told me and Mal. Dead. that word rang through my mind over and over again. I looked at my dad who was comforting my crying mother while he shed a few tears himself. I felt how my eyes filled with tears. I started to cry. Mal immediately came to hug me. she slung her arms around my body. I cried more and more. "shhh Ben it's going to be ok" I heard Mal's soothing voice. I felt my knees starting to buckle and I held my wife tighter leaning my weight on to her. "Ben, Ben please I can't hold you up by myself. Ben" she cried out I felt another pair of hands on me holding my weight off of Mal and settling me down on the couch. I sat there and stared straight ahead.

After a while I stopped crying and was able to speak. "how" I asked no one specific. "age Ben he wasn't the youngest person" " I know but why now" "I don't know Ben" "we just celebrated Lia's second birthday less than a week ago and he was so happy to become a great grandfather again" I said now crying again. " I know Ben and believe me he wanted to meet the second baby but sometimes some things just aren't meant to be" my mother told me. "mommy" we heard Lia over the baby monitor. "oh no that's going to be a little challange" "I know but we have to somehow tell her" "I'll go and get her" Mal said and rushed out of the room.

A few minutes later we heard the door open again and then my daughter stood in front of me. "are you sad daddy" "yes baby I'm a little sad" she looked to her grandparents. "grandma why you crying" Belle just smiled sadly at her. "mommy" "shh come here Lia" Mal said sitting down on the couch next to me. Lia climbed up and onto her mother's lap. "So Lia baby we have something to tell you" "what is it" "well you see... " with that Mal was lost in words and tears streamed down her cheeks. " oh no don't cry mommy" Lia said while hugging her mom. " Lia baby can you listen to daddy" she nodded. Mal calmed down and Lia released her from the hug now only carefully rubbing her swollen stomach. "well you see great grandpa is.. he's not with us anymore" "what does that mean" "well you know he was old and when people get old they at some point can't stay here anymore they all go into heaven and stay there they all have it really good there" "so he's up in heaven" she asked looking up. "yes baby he is" "do you think he can see us and watch what we are doing" "it could be baby" she giggled and climbed down from her mother's lap running over to the window. "hello grand papa I'll miss you" she said looking into the sky. "and don't worry I'll be looking after grandma for you now"

I smiled at her she understood so much for her age. She walked to her grandma and climbed up the couch sitting next to her. "don't worry grandma he'll be fine like daddy said he'll have it really good in heaven" she hugged her grandmother. "I know Lia it's just I miss him" "because he's your daddy" "yes" Lia hugged her again and she hugged back. "Ben do you think you can take care of her I don't feel too good I need to lay down for a little while" "ok go well be ok" Mal stood up and took one step and then stumbled almost falling forward. Luckily I was quick to catch her in time before anything happened. "whoa careful Mal" she put one hand on her head closing her eyes and breathing deeply. " come on I'll bring you to bed" I said supporting her. "um mom dad could you" "well watch her until you come back" I smiled weakly at my parents and then helped my wife going upstairs. once she laid in bed I pulled the blankets over her and kissed her head. "rest for a while Mal. I love you" she nodded and I went outside. I walked down the stairs and back into the living room. "daddy what's wrong with mommy" "well mommy isn't feeling very well she's sleeping for a while now" "ok" she said and went back to playing. "do you think it was just too much  for her" "I guess so Ben. let's wait and see how she feels after a good rest" "ok". my mom stood up. "I'm gonna go outside for a walk" "do you want us to come with you Belle" "no I want to be alone for a while please" "ok see you later" my dad said giving  her hand that he still held a kiss.

Two hours later my parents and I were in the living room talking while Lia played a little. We talked a little about the funeral arrangements. Just as we finished Mal came inside. "hey" she greeted us. " hey you feeling better" " yes I do. I promise it was just a little too much for me" "ok"  she sat uneasy down next to me rubbing her belly. soon Lia came over climbed onto Mal's lap and carefully rubbed her belly. Mal leaned back into me and slowly started to relax.  Soon it was time for dinner and we had a very silent dinner time. no one talked not even Lia.

When we were done my parents went to the living room. While Mal and I went upstairs to bring Lia into her bed. "mommy daddy" "yes Lia" "can I go and sleep over at grandma and grandpa tonight maybe grandma won't be so sad anymore and I promised great gandpapa to take care of her now" "over Lia baby you are such a wonderful little girl. Well you have a yes from me" Mal said hugging her. "and you got another yes from daddy" I said joining the hug. "now you just have to go and ask grandma and grandpa" I said. "ok" "good but first put on your pyjama pants" Mal said handing them to her. she put on her pants with a little help from her mother and then was lifted off the changeing table. she walked out of the room followed by Mal and me took our hands and we walked downstairs. We went inside the living room. "grandma" "yes Amelia what is it" "can I sleep with you tonight" "well of course you can but why don't you want to sleep in you own bed" "because there I can't take care of you like I promised great gandpapa" "oh Lia I love you so much" she said going over to her picking her up hugging her tightly. "is that a yes Grammy" "of course it is"  "and grandpa" "it is a yes from me as well" "yay" "good now let's get you into bed" "wait I need to tell mommy and daddy good night" Belle placed her on her feet and she walked over to us. "good night daddy" she said hugging me as I kneeled down "good night Lia" I said kissing her on the head. Mal kneeled down and Lia also hugged her "good night mommy" "good night sweety" she gave her a kiss on her cheek. "good night baby" Lia said rubbing Mals belly and then kissing it. she walked back to my parents and I helped Mal stand up. "good night Mal and Ben" "good night" we all went to our bedrooms.

Mal and I now both sat in bed reading a little as Mal suddenly gasped and grimaced while rubbing her belly. "what's wrong" "it's just kicking really hard in my ribs" I laid my book away and lifted her nightgown up so I could rub her bare belly. I did that for 5 minutes and then Mal was completely relaxed. "thanks Ben" "no problem" I said kissing her. she also laid away her book and laid down. I turned of the lights and rested my hand on Mal's belly as we both fell asleep.