I don't know. What I do know is that Jordan is right behind me. I can hear his footsteps growing louder as he gets closer. Finally, I feel a hand on my shoulder, and I immediately spin around. "What do you want?" I growl. I don't want to hurt him, not at all, but if I have to defend myself, I will.

"They told me I wouldn't be able to hurt you," he says, seemingly unfazed by my cold tone and threatening glare.

I can see the popular group watching us out of the corner of my eye. They're "hiding" behind a thin tree and laughing as they shove each other out of the way for a better view. I'm willing to bet they're waiting for me to wreck Jordan. Selfish, inconsiderate idiots. I sigh. "Well, they're right. I'm the PVP master."

He ignores what I said, saying, "I think they're wrong." One of the popular kids who was listening in on our conversation collapses in laughter. Jordan pays him no attention.

"They're not," I huff, getting slightly irritated. I turn around to continue to my house, but he steps around and in front of me, blocking my way. I roll my eyes and try to move around him, but he moves with me, preventing me from going in the right direction.

"They even bet me I couldn't hurt you," he says, stepping to the right to block my path again.

"That's cause you can't." I try to move past him on the left.

"Physically. I can't hurt you physically." He edges over to block me again.

"Uh, yeah..." I stop trying to get past him. What is he getting at?

"But what about emotionally?"

"W-What do you mean?" I ask, cursing myself for stuttering. This doesn't sound good.

"I'll get close to you, get you to trust me, and then I'll stab you in the back. That'd hurt you, right?" he asks as if it's not a big deal, as if he isn't telling me of his plans to break me down.

"I- what? Why would you straight-up tell me that you want to gain my trust and then betray me?"

"Just a warning, you know?" Wow, how polite. He's warning me that he's going to betray me. "So. That said, wanna come over to my house?"

I'm still not sure why I said "Yes."

☼☼☼

I walk home with a smile on my face. That was actually fun. Honestly, Jordan doesn't seem like the type to back stab someone. I mean, the entire time I was with him I was reminding myself that he's trying to hurt me. The entire time. But, even with that thought and his earlier words in mind, I couldn't help but notice how loyal he seemed. For example: He showed me a large tree house that he called "Jerry's Tree." It's named after his late pet slime, Jerry. Everything reminded Jordan of Jerry, literally everything. He would glance at something and go "Oh, look! … Jerry would have liked that." ALL THE TIME. Jerry's been dead for a while now, apparently, but Jordan never forgot him. He got new pets, but he never forgot or dissed Jerry. If he's like that over a pet, he'd be even more loyal to a good friend, right?

So it would make sense that, after we actually get close, he's not going to want to betray me anymore. Maybe we can still be friends.

Maybe.

I bound between two birch trees and into the clearing where I built my house. It's not much, just a small brick house with a flat roof made of birch wood planks. The roof has a railing outlining it, so one could go up onto the roof and enjoy the view without worrying about falling off and going splat.

I'm never this happy when I come home. On a good day, I'll be frowning as I enter my house. On a bad day, I'll be bawling. Today, I'm smiling.

SMILING.