V

"Have you ever loved someone?" Hyerin asked.

You tilted your head at the younger girl who was currently engrossed in a sketch she was working on.

"Love is a bit of a strong word I suppose. How about I just start off simple; have you ever had a crush on someone?" Hyerin rephrased.

"No I haven't, why? Have you?" you replied.

Hyerin sighed and looked up at you from her drawing. "Yeah, there's someone I've liked for a long time now."

"Who is he? What's he like?" you asked, offering an encouraging smile.

"It's just someone in my grade, I have him in a few of my classes, too. I can't really say what he's like since I've never had a real conversation with him, but he makes jokes a lot in class that make me laugh," Hyerin answered with a shy smile. Then she started wiggling her eyebrows suggestively. "And he's good-looking if I do say so myself, so that's a plus."

"Well that's great, I'm happy for you Hyerin," you told her, sitting closer to her and reaching over to rub her shoulder. "But why did you sound so upset about it earlier?"

The brunette's smile fell and she went back to staring at her sketch intently. "Sometimes I remember that he doesn't really know me and that there's a big possibility he doesn't feel the same way. What good is it to love someone that'll never reciprocate the feeling? It just sounds like a waste of energy if you ask me."

You frowned and gently took the sketchbook from Hyerin, placing it beside you two on the bed. Then you reached up to cup the girl's cheeks, forcing her to look into your eyes.

"I don't know too much about love-so I don't really know if this will be of any help-but if you're so worried about it, why not ask him? I know it's easier said than done, but, by the sounds of it, this guy isn't going to be making the first move anytime soon. So unless you want to keep admiring him from afar, maybe you should gather up your courage and confess to him. At least then you'll know if there's any chance he might like you too," you said.

"I know, that's been on my mind for awhile now. But what if I get rejected? I understand that there's no other way I'll find out unless I confess, but rejection isn't something my heart will be able to handle-I'm not ready for it," Hyerin replied and you could see the girl's eyes starting to water.

"Hyerin," you started gently. "I'm not saying you have to do this tomorrow or anything. I'm just saying maybe it's something you should plan for. No one is ready for rejection and I certainly don't want you to go through that pain, so if you aren't prepared then wait. You can take all the time you need before mustering up your courage, or you don't have to at all. It's your choice to confess or not, I'm not going to force you."

Hyerin let out a breath and reached up to hold your wrists, smiling at you through tears. "Thank you. This has been on my mind for so long and it feels great to talk to someone about it."

"Of course, anything for my friend," you said softly, swiping your thumb under her eye to catch a tear. You smoothed the girl's hair down before giving her the sketchbook back, moving back to your original sitting position against the bed's headboard. "Now why don't you continue your flawless drawing?"

"It's really not all that great," Hyerin said with a laugh, wiping at her eyes.

"It's better than anything I'm capable of, so therefore it's perfect," you shrugged.

"You can't draw for shit, (Y/n)."

"Time is wasting, missy. Put that pencil to work!"