CH. 1 The Phone Call

Start from the beginning

"You should be playing basketball instead of working on that comic." My high school gym teacher would say whenever I had his class.

There's no point in thinking about the past. I made a name for myself in the world I was interested in, and I'm proud of that, even though some people might feel like it's a waste of my physical features. What matters is that I'm happy with my choice.

My phone dinged, causing me to look down at it.

A notification came from my apple calendar, reminding me of today's plans.

Today was the day I was supposed to head out and head north to my family's cabin.

The same cabin my mother told everyone that I would bring my girlfriend to.

A girlfriend that doesn't exist.

A girlfriend I made up entirely.

A girlfriend that I don't have.

I sighed, wondering how I could make my way out of this situation.

I could tell them that because it was a last minute that my girlfriend couldn't make it.

But my family would never let that settle down.

I groaned, deciding to go to my favorite cafe to get some of my favorite muffins and coffee before heading to the family cabin.

I needed it, and I needed to think.

I packed the things I would take to the family cabin as I would leave for the cabin from the cafe; there was no point in coming back home when I could go there; the drive was a 12-hour drive.

After packing my clothes and things, I grabbed my gadgets, laptop, manga plotline book, and the things I had for my game design.

I left my place and headed towards my car; the handcuff from my box fell, causing me to sigh. I looked around to ensure no one saw that before picking it up quickly.

People would wonder why I had handcuffs on me, but it was because I was using some actual materials for a new manga I was working on. It's part of my art. I need references, after all.

I reached my car and pressed the car key remote, which unlocked the car door for me.

I placed everything in the car, letting out a frustrated breath at my mother, telling everyone I was bringing my girlfriend over, who didn't even exist.

I can't blame her; this was the first time I'd ever had a girlfriend, and she got excited.

That it was my first girlfriend made her happy, and it being that I made her up, made me unhappy.

My mother asked if I was gay because she had never heard me mention anyone. I told her I wasn't gay; I just hadn't met the right person for me yet. My mother told me she understood what I meant and wouldn't care who I dated as long as they made me happy.

Well, I was straight, but it made me happy to know that my mother was accepting of her children, choosing who they wanted to love. I couldn't find anyone and was just a hopeless romantic.

My mother, being the supporting person she is, helped put my brother at ease, who was scared to come out to the family.

This pushed my brother to tell everyone in the group chat that he was gay and would bring his boyfriend over for the holidays.

We were all thrilled.

I was happy my brother had found someone.

As happy as I was that my brother found someone, that still didn't change the fact that I was now the only single sibling, as mean as it might sound. I was glad he and I were both single. Well, now it's just me.