(26)Every Shadow has its Light

Start from the beginning

"We'll see when we cross that bridge, but I agree about the name."

Aurora suddenly looked up at me and her smile half faded from her plump lips. "I nearly forgot to ask you; did Apollo grant you ownership of the east lands? You said you'd go speak with him again yesterday?"

Me mocking his name had clearly brought her memory back to our conversation yesterday. I sighed and shook my head; "No. I thought I'd do it today. He was in a bad mood when I went to go see him."

"Right... Well, I know you'll convince him." Aurora looked back down and flipped the page; scanning the crisp white paper with her calculating eyes.

It wasn't going to be as easy as Aurora had made it sound. For the last six months, I'd been hinting at Apollo about the lands, but whenever I brought up the subject, he'd change the topic completely and would refuse me to speak about it any further. He was clearly pressed up against two rocks- one the one end, he wanted the lands for himself. I must admit, if I were king, I'd definitely push for them to be bordered off until they were officially declared under my own name. But on the other end, he knew I could just keep them and not bother giving them back and there would be noting he could do. It also didn't help that he was dating my sister and the princess of those lands, which technically gave him some access to them if they were to marry.

I tried to ease my stomach at the thought.

As long as Hemera is happy...

I was being generous 'asking' his permission to keep the lands, but we both knew deep down that I wasn't giving them up to the throne. Apollo just had to come out and say it, so that I could stop dodging the subject at parties. He was my best friend and I didn't want to make him look weak in front of the populace, but if he kept avoiding the subject of adjoining lands, he was going to lose out.

He could make a public speech- declare a truce between the whole kingdom and the east of the Underworld. There hadn't been one since before my parents took over those areas. It would make him popular among those people and show him in a generous and giving light, but Apollo was stubborn. I don't think the fact that I was trained to 'strip' him of his crown helped much either. I knew he trusted me now, but there was still a lingering patch of doubt in his mind.

Somehow, I had to ease it. Or manipulative my way past it.

Aurora could sense my unease. I was quiet as I sat next to her and thought of a strategy. It didn't help that Apollo nearly walked away every time I brought up the topic. I'd have to glue him to the floor to talk. "Thanatos," Aurora said softly and watched me with cool eyes. "Do what you have to."

I met her eyes. She wasn't smiling, but she looked like she knew something I didn't. "I will."

She was calm as she spoke; "I want those lands for us; for her." Aurora stroked her hand down her swollen belly. "I love Apollo dearly, but he won't take them."

"No, I promise he won't."

"And you know if anyone can convince him..." Aurora looked at my lips with suggestion and back up into my eyes. "It's you."

I think I understood what she meant. I'd thought about it too, but I would never want to upset Aurora with my unorthodox plan. Her happiness at this time was my top priority. "I'm not sure-"

"I am." She smiled smoothly and I couldn't help but be entranced by the women in front of me. Perhaps Eleos had been more than perceptive when she'd noticed how good Aurora was at manipulation. It was admirable. I found myself attracted to her mind- the way she kept her dark corners at bay. She certainly was a vision. And she was all mine...