Ten

A brief wave of silence swept pass the ladies. Such sudden moments of quiet were said to be caused by spirits passing through.  Some even say it is the angel of death making way to posses a soul.  Glancing over to her left, Jummai saw the town graveyard, dark and desolate. She felt chills down her spine and she clutched her arms as she slightly shivered. The dilapidated wall enclosing the bodies void of their souls was a sore sight to behold. Sections of the long unpainted grey-bricked wall were broken down and unruly plants grew all over the place, making the resting place an utter mess.

"Neglected in life, neglected in death," thought Jummai to herself. If only she could clear the foliage and plant beautiful flowers in the graveyard. If only she could clean out the dumped trash and unblock the gutter around the graveyard. If only, if only, if only, she could purify the filth and stench. If only she could cleanse the dirt and rust. Then she wondered. She wondered about the deeds of the dead. She thought about her life and then her death.

The road to their destination was dark and bumpy. Speed bumps rattled their back, sudden stops jerked their necks, and dodging potholes swayed their heads. Behind them was dark, ahead of them even darker, save for the brief illumination from the whisking streetlights. Darkness then brightness, dark then light, turn by turn, one phase after the other. At times reaching the light took longer because of vandalization. Jummai looked over at her friend who was looking straight ahead, and as the brief light flickered on her face, she noticed Inna was whispering prayers for the dead.

The silent spell was broken when the keke driver informed them that he would have to turn back soon, because it was very late. He said few days back, a water pipe broke open and flooded the graveyard. A few bodies flowed out the broken walls and ended up on the street. He felt uneasy about the area and wanted to turn back. "Last rainy season," he started, "the heavy rains unearthed many bodies." He said that mysterious sightings and strange happenings were reported.

Indo gave her friend a look that mocked the driver's superstitious statement. She opened her bag, counted a few hundreds, and handed the money to him, telling him to stop at the junction leading to the Fulani settlement. "Lallai, you have no fear," said the driver. Indo smiled and told him that their ancestors trekked in the wilderness and survived. "Who knows, maybe we are among those who you fear," she mischievously added. Jummai flared her eyes open in shock at her friend and waited to see the driver's reaction. Then he calmly said, "God is greater than you. Allah ya fi ku."

After a lengthy lethargic ride, the two ladies arrived at their destination. They noticed the driver muttering invocations as he pulled away and drove off as fast as the rickety rickshaw could speed. They walked a bit of a distance to an enclosed building and snuck through the back. The ladies lifted their dresses to cross over a gutter and went through a big broken soak-away, where a hefty man received them at the other end. He scolded them for being the last two back on the premises. The two were relieved to know that Inna made it back.

Another short man took their bags and asked for money while rummaging through. They handed over what they earned and he took back the outdated mobile phones. He laughed at the chocolates and told Jummai to drink more love concoctions if she wanted to go far. He took the chocolates for himself, flung the doll at her, and searched their bodies. Jummai flinched asking herself when would the violation ever end. The short man nodded at Indo, hailing her high earning skills.

As they were about to part ways to their sections, Indo gave Jummai a weak smile.  They did not want to be there, but it was the only place they could be. Jummai had only gone out for the fourth time. In her mind she vowed she would never step out again. She could not continue living like a dead person. She looked over the two men and caught sight of the broken down signboard that changed her life forever. The first time she went through the gates felt surreal, the worse part not knowing when she would leave.

Within the barbed high walls, the smelly halls were narrow and the walls were stained with dirty elements.  Because ten or more women usually occupied a small space, stepping out was a relief.  A scruffy man walked Jummai to an enclosure.  As he locked her in, she placed the doll near a sleeping baby who had been delivered within the stained walls.  The innocent child cooed in her sleep.  "Life cannot not start and end in sin", Jummai said to her self.  She thought about how humans were born sinless and how choices corrupt them.  She had to make the right decision to make sure she does not die in sin.  That would be a dreadful end.