Two

Trying to lighten her mood to forget the past hour, she thought of him; her breath of fresh air, her peace of mind, and her sanity in a suffocating, chaotic, crazy world.  Jummai had to make time for Hamisu, a man with a soul of gold. She knew him since her first year in junior secondary school.  Jummai was the shortest student in class and sat in front, a few paces away from Hamisu.  It took him weeks to muster up the courage to wave at her and say, "Hello".

Jummai struggled with her lessons, and as she understood less and less of what was being taught, she found her self being moved towards the back of the class.  Eventually, she repeated the class twice, while Hamisu passed on to senior secondary school. They remained friends despite the class gap.  She found it difficult to make new friends with each set of new classmates.  Jummai felt like a failure.  Occasionally, she would hear the teachers and students refer to her as "the old class fool".  Demotivated, she embraced the back seats, and kept to herself.

Hamisu helped Jummai with her studies by tutoring her during class breaks and holidays.  He would run down to the junior section, unashamedly, and walk Jummai to the library.  Sometimes they sat on the bench under the mango tree and some days they found empty classes.  Patiently, Hamisu helped Jummai memorize historical facts, practice equations, and understand science.

Jummai believed it had to be a genuine kind of love that could sustain such a commitment. Hamisu affectionately called her 'Mai-mai'. It was apparent to everyone in the school that he made up his mind about her.  There were plenty other girls who were smarter, prettier, and curvier, but he told Jummai that she was the sole keeper of his heart.

Hamisu was the reason Jummai liked going to school. She felt invisible to everyone else.  She had trouble seeing the board and reading letters, yet she remained ignored.  The teachers kept her at the back of the class because the smart students were kept up front.  Jummai struggled to write neatly and correctly, therefore canceling and repositioning letters, however she was ridiculed for her messy notes.  Students like her were innocent nuisances to impatient teachers.

Jummai got anxious during classes but looked forward to break time with the one person who paid attention to her.  After school, Hamisu took his time, step by step, to make sure Jummai understood her schoolwork.  He knew she had difficulties understanding some concepts, but he also knew there was much more to her than what the school report card assesses.  He always told her that with a little push, she could understand anything.  She just had to have faith in herself.

A car honked Jummai out of her nostalgic moment.  She quickly moved away from the car's path and wrapped her veil tighter around her head.