The SidePack- Being A Parent Isn't Easy

Start from the beginning

Lachlan and Rob were both adopted, as were all 4 other boys. It was one of the reasons that all of us parents clicked.

Vikk had been adopted from the UK as a newborn, his mother couldn't car for him and had given him up for adoption. Josh had been abandoned and no one ever really knew his story because the only thing he ever said was his name.

Preston and Harry had an unfortunately similar story, both had been hyperactive and energetic since a very young age and Harry had been diagnosed with ADHD, and their parents couldn't cope. Both had been neglected and abandoned before being given up for adoption when they were both 2.

Lachlan had been abused a lot as a child, he was only one when child protective services removed him from his home and he was fostered into our home. There were struggles but he was still our little angel, no matter what happened.

Rob was a little different, he was developmentally delayed in terms of normal progress. He didn't start talking until he was 1, walking until he was 2, doing the normal things that children should do slower than he should have. He was given up for adoption a few months after he was born when his parents realised he wasn't the definition of normal.

But they were our boys, no matter what had happened to them in the past, and we loved them as our own. They were our own.

----------------------------------------------

"Hey you!" I scooped Rob up into my arms, laughing as he nuzzled his face into neck. Preston bounced around beside me, laughing as I threw Rob up into the air. "You're getting heavy mister!"

We were having a big playdate with all 6 boys at our place, all of the parents coming over as well for the afternoon, just to spend some time together. Preston had come over with us to drop Rob off before Ethan and Tobi came to pick him up.

A few minutes later Lachlan and Vikk came over to us, hand in hand, and talking together quietly. Lachlan was wide eyed and happy, swinging his arm up and down with Vikk's hand in his and it was amazing to see him like that because it only really happened around Vikk.

"Hey Lachy." He grinned, hugging my leg, and Vikk copied him, latching himself onto the other so I was stuck with a four year old in my arms and two three year olds stuck to my legs.

When JJ, Simon, Ethan and Tobi came over to the carpark with the two other boys, Josh and Harry running in front of them to greet their brothers and our boys. JJ was the first one to notice his son clinging to my legs and laughed, elbowing Simon gently.

"You stuck there Mitch?" I rolled my eyes, handing Rob over to Jerome who placed him on the ground and let him latch back on to Preston.

"Yes, maybe?!" He rolled his eyes and crouched down beside me, holding out his hand for Vikk.

"Do you think you should let go now?" He shook his head, giggling.

"No! It's fun!" JJ smiled and looked back up at me.

"I hope you don't mind a permanent attachment Mitch, it seems Vikk is now never going to let go."

"Well Vikk and Lachlan, let's go then!" I decided to play along with his game, knowing that it would be pretty funny.

He giggled and I picked Lachlan off my leg, holding him in my arms. Vikk stayed attached to my legs and I managed to walk over to the car with the boy clinging to me, strap Lachlan into his car seat and help Rob up onto his own and then strap him in too.

Vikk was still giggling, his bright eyes wide as I wrestled with him to get him off my leg, laughing the whole time. He had an extremely tight grip for a three year old and I was actually struggling a little to get him off but eventually I loosened his grip and swung him into the air.

"Got you now!" He giggled again and I wrestled him into the middle car seat, one we had for when friends came over. "We'll take him, see you at home okay." I directed the last part at JJ and Simon, who nodded and took Harry's hand, leading him off to their car. Ethan and Tobi took Josh and Preston, nodding to us and our, now numbering three, boys.

I made sure that all of the boys were strapped in before we set off home, Jerome driving.

All of the boys chatted away in the back seat, Rob kicking his feet up and down, Vikk chatting away happily and Lachlan watching his friend with a smile on his face.

At home all 6 boys ran off after a quick feed to bounce on the trampoline and climb trees, many of the parents watching from the living room or from the outdoor table. We talked about everything from their milestones to funny stories, to stupid things they had said or times we had fucked up around them, by either swearing or mentioning something not exactly age appropriate.

When the boys grew tired hours later, the sun had already set, many of them curled around their parents, their friends or their siblings and fell asleep.

Lachlan and Vikk fell asleep first, the two of them falling asleep on JJ's lap just after having dinner. Rob went next, curling up on Jerome's lap underneath a blanket and his hands clinging onto his shirt tightly and Preston sat on a chair beside them, swinging his feet.

The two oldest boys weren't going to fall asleep, that was clear by 8 o'clock, and once the clock hit 9 the other decided that it was best to go home. Simon went to pick up Vikk from JJ's lap where he was still curled around Lachlan and I took Lachlan, letting him bury himself in my chest.

Jerome and I, both with a child in our arms, said goodbye to everyone else. Simon carried Vikk and gently strapped him into his car seat and Harry was actually quiet for once, respecting the fact that his brother was asleep.

Ethan and Tobi, with both Josh and Preston still awake, had an easier time getting away because they were tired and easy to deal with, both getting into the car with no struggle. Preston was still smiling but looked tired, and waved us goodbye while rubbing his eyes.

Once they were gone we put the other two down to bed, both still sleeping in the same room. Both were in beds, Lachlan having being moved from a cot to a bed a few months before, and I had found they slept easier in beds than in cots.

After we were sure they were asleep we went to bed ourselves. Jerome yawned, his head on my shoulder.

"I'm exhausted." He yawned again and I raised one eyebrow.

"Well what can I say, being a parent isn't easy." He smiled, wrapping his arms around me.

"Love you Mitchy."

"Love you too Jerome."