The Pack OT6- Hunters

Start from the beginning

There was silence for hours. Lachlan slept soundly, his wings folded around his body and his thumb almost in his mouth. He looked like that 4 year old all over again when we met for the first time, so young, so small, not exposed to the horrors that hunters brought to us.

Mitch came back just as the sun started to set, stumbling and barely able to keep himself on his feet. He fell right beside me, not even able to lift his head from the ground once he collapsed to the ground and just closed his eyes.

"We're- safe, safe for the... night... can't stay, awake." He was gasping for breath and hardly able to push the words from his mouth.

"Just go to sleep Mitch, we'll be fine for a while okay." He nodded slowly, his eyes already drifting closed. I would wake Lachlan to take over my watch in an hour or so because I desperately needed sleep, but at the moment he needed sleep more.

"Sleep well Mitchy." He closed his eyes and was asleep within a minute.

-----------------------------------------------

I woke Lachlan after a few hours, barely able to keep my eyes open, and told him to wake Mitch when he needed to. He looked much better, more rested and more alert, and he curled his wings around both Mitch and I which made for a much more comfortable to sleep.

When I woke up the next morning as the sun was rising, the first thing I saw was Mitch sitting upright on watch. He smiled down at me, looking much happier and a hell of a lot less exhausted. Lachlan was fast asleep with his head on Mitch's lap.

His round ears, those of a mouse, were twitching a little and his thin, almost string like, tail was rustling the dry leaves of the ground. His nose twitched as I smelt smoke in the air.

"Hey Mitch, when'd he wake you up?" He shrugged.

"A hour, two hours ago? It wasn't that long ago." I sighed because that was much longer than he was meant to be up and sat up, stretching.

"I reckon we leave him to sleep for another or so and then we get moving, sound good?" He nodded, leaning up against my shoulder and his eyes watching the forest warily.

"Sounds good."

Jerome's P.O.V.

Vikk blanched, glaring at me. I sighed but continued to gather my weapons, knowing that he would probably hate me for the next little while but I didn't have a choice in the matter and we had to do what we were asked.

"You said we didn't have to go out for another week!" He complained, kicking a sword that lay on the floor.

"I know Vikk but my dad said we had to." Preston looked indifferent even though he hated going out to hunt as much as the rest of us. He just wanted to meet our remaining soulmates, who we didn't doubt were all hybrids judging by their words engrained on our arms.

We all had the same three sentences;

Woah, woah! We're soulmates!

Ow! You're hurting me, stop!

Leave off him! You're hurting him!

We all hated the words because we knew our soulmates impressions of us wouldn't be positive and I hated to think what our first words to them would be.

Preston's first words to me were a little strange cause we had met out on the job when we were 10 years old. Is that an axe? Because I had been carrying my favourite weapon as I followed my father around the forest on my little kid legs as he tried to teach me the trade.

I had met Vikk a lot later on than most people meet their soulmates, at 15, when he was 13. He had fallen on me in the middle of the forest after falling asleep and slipping from a rather tall tree. Oh my god I'm so sorry! I fell asleep! I had replied It's all good but I think we might be soulmates.