Chapter 4:" Shattering Truth"

Lavanya stood frozen against time when the knock sounded on her door . When she gained the courage to open the door five minutes have already passed and she hoped to see no one waiting for her  on the other side but her mother was still standing in front of her room.

                One look at her mother ,and Lavanya heart broke .She has caused so much pain to her mother by her action . She know her  mother would have been crushed   by her actions

         "  I am so so sorry mom, it all my fault " Lavanya spoke up as she rushed into her mother embrace trying to keep her tears from falling at the sight of her .

          "  No beta , None of this is your fault ." her mothers word did little to reassure her and yet her mother embrace made her feel loved that she had been reluctant to let go but she knew it was time for them to talk ,so stepped away from the hug and looked at her mother with a tentative smile

" Want to come inside " Lavanya asked as she held her door open for her mother who declined the offer in favor of their garden .

           Cooking was an something she enjoyed doing with her father ,similarly Gardening had been something that she loved doing with her mom , Lavanya remembered helping her mom plants those flowers in the garden when she first came into their lives , ever since then the garden was a place where the mother daughter spend time together .

    No one in the family would ever trespass their time in the garden, Not even her brother who loved to dig the soil lacked the patience required to nourish and care for the plants in their garden and her father would never trespass in their time because he knew it belonged to just the two of them and because of it  Lavanya had several memories of them sitting in the same place talking with each other for hours sometime .

" I don't want to know anything , you don't have to tell me anything and I won't ask you either ,please don't be sad mom " Lavanya spoke up the moment she sat beside her mother and then told her mom in quite whisper why she decided to search for her birth parents because she didn't want her mom to think the decision stemmed from anything other than concern for her mom .

" You were right about one thing and wrong about the other beta , yes I was sad often when I thought about the day I have to tell you this but I was never sad for myself ,I was sad for you . If I could I would protect your from everything but I can't ." her mother spoke up and for the first time Lavanya wondered what could be her past that would leave such a fear in her mother .

" Did you fight with dad last night  ? " she asked the question haunted her instead to prolong the conversation from drifting back to her birth  , she was often proud of her parents for being so in love and never fighting like other parents and she wanted to know if she was to be blamed for their fight as well .

" No ,Princess .We just had a disagreement , He told me I should tell you and I lashed out at him in my fears , but you know your father ,he simply held on to me till I stopped crying . Don't you ever worry about me and my father .We have been married for ten solid years . And we both love each other more than enough to weather any problem ." her mother words reassured her from her worst fear but her mother fear still remained and Lavanya knew she can't prolong the conversation any longer .

" Mom , dad told me you were worried that I would hate you . I lived as your daughter for ten years it isn't in me to hate my mother " Lavanya spoke up trying to reassure her mom that she knew their love for each other is stronger to weather any Strom as well which earned her a glimpse of  her mother smile . 

" You father was right , I did worry about it but let me tell you something ,it is quite okay if you hate me after knowing the truth . But just don't hate me forever . " her mother spoke up still filled with concern  

         Lavanya wanted to learn the past soon so that she can reassure her mom that she had nothing to worry about up , back then she didn't realize it was easy to be confident about something she didn't know  .

             " Siddharth Gadodia was his name,  Your biological father . He was the son of a prominent businessman in Kolkata , your mother fell in love with him and  found herself pregnant with you before marriage , she has hoped he would marry her when she told him but instead he asked her to wait so he can convince his father .

                      It took her almost two months before she realized he had no intention of marrying her as he had almost gotten engaged to someone else even then she believed foolishly that it was his father who was forcing him into the marriage against his wishes .

                               Your mother believed approaching Siddharth father would make him acknowledge her , After all you were his grand daughter.    His father allowed them to get married for his political ambitions that required a clean image . Your mother convinced herself marrying him was right for her and you .

                She soon learnt how wrong she was about him. Siddharth was not the man she knew him to be when he got drunk and after their marriage drinking had became an addiction of sorts , he had resorted to violence towards her everytime his father blamed his choice of wife ,  He blamed it on his drinking habit and apologized each time it happened until one day he went a little too far . 

         Your mother  pushed him away from her to prevent you from getting hurt as well  and unfortunately for her that he fell on the glass table in the room, the blow to his head caused his death . Though she acted in self defense ,no one where ready to believe her even the judge that  she was sent to prison with you in her womb for three years on manslaughter . 

       Siddharth father wanted her to suffer through the pain of losing her daughter that when you were born ,he pain the doctor to lie to her that you were dead .She spent the rest of her sentence in prison believing you were dead Lavanya , She only became aware of your existence when you were 6 years old beta . " her mother spoke up and waited for Lavanya to react but she had been too numb by what she heard so far that she couldn't even say a word. 

" By then I was adopted and you didn't let her see me .Is that why you think I would hate you when I learn you kept her away from me . None of what happened was her fault , if you can love Yuv and me the same .Why couldn't I have loved both of you as well . " Lavanya asked as the reality came crashing down .

                Her mom know so much about her biological parents which meant sometime after finding about her ,her biological mom had approached her parents . But she couldn't come to terms that her kindhearted parents would send someone away after hearing such a heart wrenching truth . She was still confused by their actions that her mother next statement felt like a blow that she didn't expect in the least .

" It is not like that Lavanya , It is me , I only learnt that you were alive after I was married to Sanskar . " her mother spoke but Lavanya mind failed to comprehend it .

" What do you mean to say. The whole story was about you . " Lavanya asked hoping she misunderstood but she knew she heard it right . She didn't want to but it made perfect sense as if the final piece in the puzzle had been located yet she still felt lost that she had to voice it out once again

" You adopted your own daughter?  " Lavanya asked and at her mother nod her world came to an stand still .

P.S :" How many of you hate me for the cliffhanger . Let me know your thoughts and feedback .Hit the votes if you liked it ."

Love

Juanita Reid