10

The coven saved Bella, Melissa was allowed to rip James to shreds. Emmett and Jasper burned the body. The prom has come and passed. Melissa ended up going, she brought Jared Cameron as her date. Paul was patrolling that night. Carlisle and Melissa shared a small kiss, nothing too massive, after saving Bella.

Now has came to for Bella's birthday. It is officially the human's eighteenth birthday. Alice has decided to throw a party, of course. She brought the forest green dress Melissa bought her to school, she is wearing it tonight.

Bella is actually upstairs, getting dressed while Melissa scans the room. Rosalie is wearing a black dress which is high in front and long in the back. Alice is in a beautiful blue dress, while Esme's is a light purple. Melissa's dress is navy blue and short. Bella finally comes downstairs.

"Sorry about all this." Carlisle says. "We tried to reign Alice in."

"As if that's possible." Esme coos as she hugs Bella. "Happy birthday, Bella."

"Thanks." Bella says, blushing slightly.

Alice snaps a random picture. "Found it in your bad. Hope you don't mind."

Rosalie steps forward and hands Bella a gift. "It's a necklace. Alice and Melissa picked it out."

"Thanks." Bella says and Melissa hugs her tightly, careful not to squeeze too tight.

"Show me the love!" Alice chirps and Edward kisses Bella's head, Alice snaps a picture. "This one's from Emmett."

Melissa narrows her eyes at Emmett as Bella shakes the box, and it turns up empty.

"Already installed it in your truck." Emmett smirks. "Only a decent sound system for that piece of....."

"Hey.." Bella interrupts him, causing Melissa to smirk. "D...Don't hate the truck."

Alice skips up to Bella with a closely wrapped present. "Open Carlisle and Esme's."

With a funny feeling in the put in her stomach, Melissa moves closer to Jasper. He looks confused then Bella gets a paper cut. It takes Carlisle and Emmett and Melissa to restrain Jasper, Edward had thrown Bella back. As her cut deepened, Melissa's eyes darken.

"Jas, Mel; it's just a little...." Alice pauses as she smells the bunch of blood. "Blood." She says lightly.

"Get them out of here."

Emmett throws a fighting Melissa over his shoulder and he flashes her out.

"Mel, hey!" Emmett shouts in her face. "Calm down, it's ok."

"Bella." Melissa croaks. "Is..... is she ok? Di....Did I hurt her?"

"No, Bella's fine." Emmett places his large hands on Melissa's shoulders. "I stopped you, barely, but I did."

Melissa's eyes cloud with tears before she flashes inside. "Bella!"

"Melissa, you shouldn't be in here." Carlisle demands.

"Silence." She demands, Carlisle shuts up and removes the glass. "Bella, are you ok? I didn't hurt you, did I?"

"I'm fine, Mel, Emmett stopped you." Bella soothes. "Can he talk now?"

"You can talk now, Carlisle." Melissa says.

"Thank you." He scoffs.

****

"You have a choicer." Esme says.

Melissa just learned the Cullen's are leaving.

"You can stay or you can go." Carlisle adds. "If you stay, you can keep the house."

"I'm staying." Melissa says. "I can't just leave Bella. I won't."

Carlisle kisses her head, and lets his lips linger. Esme notices and she only smiles warmly. She knows he loves his mate, but he loves her in a different way than he loves Esme. He would do anything to protect either one, but he'd go further for Melissa, both women know this.

"Very well." Carlisle finally speaks and hands her the keys to the house and to his Mercedes. "Take these. Don't dwell."

"Esme, mind if I kiss my mate real fast?" Melissa asks.

"I'll step outside and wait," Esme says with a kind smile.

Melissa smashes her lips into Carlisle's when Esme is outside. She doesn't feel a hint of jealousy on Esme, she felt happiness. She's happy for both Melissa and Carlisle. Mel is glad that Esme hasn't left Carlisle. His happiness radiates for miles when he is around Esme.

"Go. Esme is waiting." Melissa says softly and Carlisle leaves without another word.

Melissa frowns at the unusual silence in the large house that is now all hers. At least, it hers until they return. If they return. She is used to hearing Emmett's booming voice. Her uncle always telling her of his journey's before finding Alice. She had even grown used to Alice's perkiness and Rosalie's hope for a family like her own.

She sits on the futon in her uncle's room, and she feels exhausted. She lays back. With one arm and one leg hanging off the side of the futon, Melissa sleeps for the first time in over a century.