Chapter 4

/~~~ Hiccup’s P.O.V ~~~/

The arena was a mess. It seemed the other riders had been waiting for Astrid and myself before training started. The dragons had had the same phase Toothless and Stormfly had when they just went crazy.

Fishlegs was sweeping up several shattered and charred shields, Snotlout was putting swords and other weapons back into crates and the twins were shouting about how awesome it had been.

“Guys, this isn’t cool!” Astrid exclaimed rolling her eyes. 

“Definitely not cool.” Fishlegs murmured, sweeping chunks of wood away from Meatlug who still seemed rather confused.

“I’m going to go back to my house and look through the Book of Dragons, it might help us figure out why they acted like that.” I told the others climbing into Toothless’s saddle. “Once your done, my Dad would really appreciate it if the dragons could carry off big bits of wreckage from around the village, I’ll come and help you in a while.”

Toothless took off flying through the gates before flying speedily back to my house. I hopped of quickly and ran into the house to look at the few books my dad had that had belonged to my mother. Before the Red Death, dad hadn’t really kept books in the house, only an empty bookcase. When I asked him why he always said they reminded him of mum, but for some reason he took them out again after Toothless and I defeated the Red Death. They were all just books about cooking or fishing or farming, the type of things the old Vikings would have needed, not the new friends of dragons vikings. Yet I still looked through them, I pulled out a particular book from the bottom row. It was about the best way to catch fish; I weighed it in my hand and looked at the cover. When I went to put it back in I noticed something surprising about the backboard of the bookcase. The holes where nails normally resided were empty as though someone had taken them out. Setting the fish book on the ground next to me I began pulling books off the same shelf to find that all the nails on the back board of the bottom shelf had been taken out. I hesitantly pushed against one, it moved slightly, I pulled it out carefully. I wasn’t sure why I was trying to be quiet, I was alone in the house, except for Toothless who was watching over my shoulder.

“What do you think he’s trying to hide?” I asked Toothless, he gave an uncertain growl.

One by one I removed each small piece of wood from the bookcase. The back opened up into a small section, about a foot wide. Inside was a chest, written on the front were the words ‘Valka Haddock’. I froze sitting back on my heel, or rather heel, as I stared at the engraved chest. Toothless nudged me forward. I refused to move looking at the hidden chest. He nudged me again, more determined this time.

“Fine,” I groaned. I reached in cautiously and picked the chest up, it was heavier than I expected, what on earth was inside it.

“Yes, well the steps to the hall are going to have to be redone,” I heard my father saying loudly as he approached our house.

“Are you sure that’s necessary Stoick.” Grumbled Gobber. Hurridely I began to put the wooden planks back into place before shoving the books in no particular order, back onto their shelf.

“Yes, we can’t have one of our main structures so damaged!” My dad said as though the very idea was preposterous. “What would visitors think?”

The door creaked open just as I stood up carrying the chest.

“Hide me.” I hissed to Toothless. He lifted his wing and I sidled underneath trying to step quietly as I silently prayed to the Gods that my dad wouldn’t be too curious about why Toothless was in here without me. I’m not sure why I didn’t just tell him that I had found a chest that belonged to my mother. But I didn’t, I didn’t pop out from Toothless’s wing and when dad asked haphazardly why Toothless was in the kitchen I stayed silent like I wasn’t there. I stayed under the cover of Toothless’s wing until we had reached my workshop where I finally set the heavy chest down.

“Let’s see what’s in here hey bud.”

After examining the chest more closely I found that instead of having a lock like most chests, it was sealed with wax, all around the lid. I pulled a chisel and hammer from a wall which held my tools. 

Carefully I positioned the chisel against the wax seal and tapped the hammer against it lightly. The wax separated from it’s host easily crumbling and falling onto the work table. Once I had removed all the wax, I put my tools down and set my hands on either side and lifted. The lid creaked open revealing it’s contents to be… books. Well seems logical, it was concealed behind a bookcase. Looking at a few of the titles I was surprised to see that the volumes' titles comprised of dragon involved subjects, their history, habits and more. Had my mum been interested in dragons? But one killed her... I shook the thought from my head and ran my finger over their leather spines. I tookone out and blew the dust off, right into Toothless’s face, he sniffed shaking his head a little.

“Oops.” I said quickly ducking down as he gave an almighty sneeze shooting a plasma blast out the window. I popped back up and gave him an apologetic smile, “sorry bud.”

He rolled his eyes before nodding back to the book. I looked down at the one I had picked out, ‘Dragons, a History’ by Sylva, it gave no surname. One by one I pulled out the books and found like the others they were written by the same author, Sylva. After they had all been taken out, only one book remained, unlike the other which had been facing spine up, this book was lain flat against the bottom, wrapped in cloth. I pulled it away eager to see what the book was. It was a bigger volume than the others and its spine was lined with gold. It to was written by Sylva. The embedded title on the front read ‘The wonderful workings of Dragons.’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just realized that Dreamworks might have gotten the idea of Toothless's glowing scales from us HTTYD fans here on Wattpad. In some of the stories I have read, including my own, Toothless and other Night Furys scales light up. Well if Dreamworks really did get it from us then their welcome:D 

I hope everyone is enjoying this story, so to finish off this chapter, we have a question from a good friend of mine, A_Frozen_Dragon

 ME (ToothlessLover777): So Astrid, your the lucky person who gets the first question. 

ASTRID: Cool, what's the question. 

ME: A_Frozen_Dragon would like to know what you favourite design of Hiccups was when you first went into his workshop. 

ASTRID: Oh that's a hard question! I wish everyone could see his workshop it's so amazing, the room with his designs... I swear there is absolutely no spare space. How am I suposed to choose just one. 

ME: Well, why not metion a few of the ones you liked. 

ASTRID: The first would definelty be Toothless's auto-tail, that has to be one of the most amazing things he could do for Toothless. Then, there was one design I really liked of a sword, it had quite a long blade, wrapped around the hilt was a mini Night Fury. On one side 'the unholy offspring,' was engraved, and on the other side 'of lightning and death.' 

ME: Yeah that does sound pretty cool. 

ASTRID: There was also a simple desgin I noticed as we walked out, it was on a table and was under a few others. I think he was trying to hid it. It was a leather suit, looked pretty cool. 

ME: Really, yes well i'm sure a few of our readers will know about that. 

ASTRID: really? How? 

ME: Never mind. Well thank you for answering the question! We'll hopefully see you soon. 

ASTRID: See ya everyone, hope I answered your question! 

New chapter coming soon. 

So who would you rather Toothless have a relationship with, Stormfly or another Night Fury, or to make things interesting, both? 

Love

ToothlessLover777