Chapter 3

/~~~ Toothless's P.O.V ~~~/

I don't know what had happened. One moment I was flying with Hiccup and carrying Astrid, it was a game we often played, it was funny. Then suddenly I found myself on the ground having just jumped over Hiccup and Astrid with no recollection of why I was there or how. It was as though I had simply blacked out and someone else had taken control of my body. That’s a scary thought I said to myself as we walked up a slope through the dense trees. I couldn’t help thinking of the last time this had happened, when I had left Hiccup right before Snoggletog after he had given me the self-usable tail. I had woken up on an island off the shore of Berk having no memory of why I was there. I had flown around the island trying to find some kind of landmark I recognized when I had spotted Hiccup’s washed up helmet. I had fetched it and found that I could follow his sent, it had led me right back to Berk. And then, of course, there was the first time this had happened when I had been enslaved by the Red Death along with the other dragons. That was my first memory. I couldn’t remember anything before that.

What if someone had taken control of me?

I pondered this while listening to Astrid and Hiccup's conversation. 

“I don’t know how it happened, or why, but I know he didn’t do it on purpose.” Hiccup said firmly.

“Are you sure? We both know Toothless hasn’t exactly had the easiest life, what with the Red Death and everything.” There was a silent meaning behind ‘what with the Red Death and everything,’ it was as though she was saying ‘what with his tail and everything’. Hiccup’s leg creaked when he next put weight on it as though even it knew the inner meaning of those words.

Not for the first time I wished I could talk to Hiccup, tell him it wasn’t me, I hadn’t attacked him that was someone else.

“Don’t forget it wasn’t just Toothless who attacked, Stormfly did as well, are you saying she did it on purpose?” Hiccup asked.

Astrid sighed, “Ok so if it wasn’t the dragons’ fault then whose was it?”

“I’m not sure.” Hiccup said

Nor am I, I thought. The rest of the walk was in silence.

***

/~~~ Hiccup’s P.O.V ~~~/

The village was in havoc when we returned it seemed that it wasn’t only Stormfly and Toothless who had attacked Vikings. Houses were on fire, some completely crushed to the ground.

“Hiccup!” Boomed my father running over a few villagers, including Gobber, at his heels. “The dragons what happened, one moment their fine the next their trampling Berk!”

“I don’t know dad!” I said shrugging, because I really had no clue.

He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Just see to it that the dragons are calmed down, I’ll deal with this mess.” I nodded and gestured Astrid to follow me to my workshop. Gobber had helped me build it two years ago when I was 16 saying that I was taking up too much of his space with my ‘knick knacks’. I was happy to move my things out, the new one was much bigger. I walked round the side of my house to the workshop followed by Astrid, Toothless and Stormfly. Inside the workshop, I had designed three rooms. The first room held all my designs plastered over the walls and on any space possible, new and old, bad and good, everything I had worked on since meeting Toothless. There were the original plans for his tail and saddle, plans for weapons, my shield and other gadgets I had made over the years. In the second room was were I actually made everything, it was definitely the most crowded of the three rooms, half finished projects lay strew across the two long working benches. Hanging against the wall were two extra tail fins, a self usable one which I had re-created after Toothless had destroyed the first, and a normal one which had to be directed by me. The doorways were the perfect size for Toothless to fit through as long as he folded his wings in and the front was quite open anyway so that had been no problem. Stormfly however had to go round the side and pear in through one of the windows while her rider walked through the workshop. The final room was a bedroom. After the first time I’d had the dream a few weeks ago I had basically moved in. It was nice to be somewhere I felt safe, somewhere I had built with my own hands.

 I felt kind of embarrassed walking through the first room purposely not looking at some particular designs that would never work. No one had ever been inside the workshop except me, Toothless, Dad and Gobber.

“Hiccup, these are amazing!” Astrid gasped looking at the crowded designs and black scrawled writing surrounding us.

“Ah, you know just stuff I come up with in my spare time.” I shrugged hurrying to the next room. I quickly took Toothless’s tail, the one that had to be used by me, and began to fit the wires and straps to it. I had particular reasons for not using the self-usable tail, 1) It was the only copy I had and I might need in an emergency 2) the last time Toothless had used it he had left me and the last reason had something to do with this mornings event. I felt guilty not giving my best friend the freedom he deserved, but I was worried, what if the same thing happened and he attacked, he would be even more dangerous from the sky.

“All done.” I said patting Toothless’s thick tail as he moved it experimentally feeling the familiar weight of metal against his scales.

“We should call the riders to the academy, I want to hear what happened to their dragons.” Astrid said as we walked back through my workshop meeting Stormfly by the door. Astrid climbed gracefully up Stormfly’s wing and into the saddle while I hopped on Toothless and checked that everything was working. Toothless was slightly hesitant getting into the air, he ran to the edge of the hill that my house was on, just before the ground sloped down he opened his wings and glided. With one wing beat we were soaring above my house. I decided to check that Toothless’s wings and tail muscles were ok by performing some difficult maneuvers, dodging invisible enemies swerving around unseen objects and a spinning dive. Finally once I was sure he was unharmed I soared back to a waiting Astrid who was sitting on Stormfly who was crouched on my roof ready to jump into the air at any second. Toothless beat his wings steadily waiting as I talked to Astrid.

“Show off!” She called up to me.

“Just making sure he was all right.” I said shrugging.

“Let’s just go to the arena,” she said grumbling in mock distaste.

I laughed and turned Toothless in the direction of the academy.

“We’ll find out what happened bud.” I said patting his head. He growled what seemed to be a disgruntled sigh. 

“I promise.” I added quietly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Longer chapter this time:D 

Hope everyone likes it!

Please vote and comment <3

I will be doing Q and A in this book so please feel free to ask the characters anything you want! 

Love

ToothlessLover777