Chapter Twelve

"Using these points, we can find out the velocity and acceleration by using simple derivatives, the first, and second derivatives."

I hear the distinct ticking of the clock that hangs on the wall above the board. 

Tick Tock Tick Tock.

I sit with my eyes glued onto my phone screen, waiting for a call, or text from either my brother, Ashton, the Director or anyone really. My thumps hang just above the screen, while my index finger slides up the side of my phone, towards the off button. After hesitating to turn my phone off for the last 20 minutes, I finally I turn my phone to sleep and stare at the black screen.

Ding.

I jump at the unexpected, but longing sound of a message on my phone.

I look up immediately to see half the class staring at me, thanks to the obvious high pitched ring in a silent classroom

"Phones on silence. Miss Tate." The teacher doesn't bother to turn around as he warns me.

"Sorry." I apologise as I wait until all eyes are off me, to look at my message.

Unknown: hey.

I try to think of who this unknown could be. Maybe Ashton lost his phone?! Or maybe Jackson did? But what if it is the kidnappers! Blackmail maybe... my heart races at the possibility, before my brain kicks in, telling me not to act too rashly, and crazy before actually knowing what is going on.

You: Who is this?

I  text back, before I wait patiently for my phone to vibrate, after 1 minute... finally.

Unknown: The handsome one.

"What?" I mutter, thinking out loud.

You:?

Unknown: Adam of course.

"Are you kidding me!" I yell in frustration.

"Elena! Phones away!" The teacher turns around, slamming his hand on the table.

"Sor-"

"Since you are paying such good attention, what is the 1st  derivative to the equation on the board."

I gulp, knowing all I heard from the lessons this year so far, is welcome back, try your hardest' on the first day.

My eyes glance at the board. 

d/dx [cos((3x^2)+(5x^4)+x]

"I-" Just before I am about to admit defeat, all eyes stare at the blonde boy in the last row, who beings to speak.

"1−(20x^3+6x)sin(5x^4+3x^2),"

I also turn around to see Theron, the clear genius of the class - or at least the brave on willing to save me.  He sits back in his chair after answering the question and then looks over at me.

I mouth the words "Thank you."

He nods back, just before he mouths "go." as the speaker turn on.

"Sorry for the interruption. Elena Tate, please report to the Director's office. Thank you." I quickly face the teacher.

"Well Elena, you need to do a little catch up after this clear demonstration of your mathematical ability. You are dismissed."

I quickly gather my things and head out of the class towards the Director's office. 

With each step through the empty halls, I can hear my footsteps echo thanks to the clear hall. I head to the Director office, and as usual, he is leaning back in the chair, top hat and all.