Open Hearts

This chapter was written by myself

*A year after Hogwarts, comes directly before the chapter The Death Room*

"I say now that he was unfortunately handsome, though at the time he was simply as he was; and how he was, was beautiful. His lips carved smiles into his cheeks and mirror them with his eyes, as the stars reflected in pools of rainwater. I do remember him. I wish I did not.

He was a Slytherin like myself, and we used to sneak out and meet under the stairwell. He would always prepare candles to float by our side as we talked and created images of a life together. It took me too long to realize that is not what would happen.

As the days progressed I noticed little changes in his behavior. His smile seemed forced and never reached his eyes and he no longer looked at me with love. He looked at me with a mixture of contempt and longing that I couldn't understand. I regret not seeing it sooner, the rage that boiled beneath his skin. He was mad. I suppose I must have been mad myself for falling in love with him.

He always silenced me at our meetings. He told me he had bigger plans to speak of that held precedence over whatever I held on my tongue. I began to fear him, or rather who he was becoming. He was a monster in the making. And I did nothing to prevent it.

I would arrive to class late, bruises decorating the skin underneath my robes. No one could hear me screaming because I never made a sound. I did what he asked; I silenced my suffering."

"What happened to him? Where did he go?"

She peeled her eyes from the tear stained table and glowered at the man. "Why should I care where he is, so long as he is not here?" Her gaze fell back down and she continued. "He was so handsome. Even when he became who he is-was-" she took a breath, "I still loved him. He taught me kindness before he taught me pain. But that was his greatest mistake in the end. He showed me how to act towards someone I love. And as he did to me, I did to him, just in a different manner."

"What did you do?"

She smiled sadly at him, choking on the tears and words that spilled out. "I killed him."