Girl Meets the Truth

"Jess am I a good person?" She asks as I hold back laughter.

"Of course you are..." I pause and look back up at her. "Why are you questioning that?"

"I feel like all the drama, ends up revolving around me. I feel like it's all my fault..."

"This isn't your fault." I say cutting her off. "Riley your one of the kindest people I know. Yes you don't know a lot about me yet, but that's all right cause I trust in time you'll learn." I pause as I think of something someone said to me years ago. "A friendship isn't built over night."

"Thanks." She says with a smile. "But I still feel bad. I yelled at them."

"They will forgive you. And who knows this could be something that brings the group closer." I say and stand up.

"Do you think so?" She asks looking up at me as I reach out my hand. She grabs it and stands up.

"From what I've learned about people over the years, they will realize that this is a big deal to you. And hopefully they will share more about themselves. But I can't make promises." I say. She nods and smiles at me.

"Thank you Jess." She says then pulls me into a hug.

"Anytime."

*the next day*

I walk into history class and sit down in. I'll say right now that I got nothing out of the lesson. Mainly because Riley ran out early on. I raised my hand and mr. Mathews smiled and said "go ahead."

I sat next to Riley on the bay window and she placed her head on my shoulder.

"Mayas not talking to me still." She says and I wrap my arm around her.

"I know." I say than pause. "Hmm. I understand why you like bay windows now." She smiles up at me.

"I knew you'd catch on." She says with a tear rolling down her face.

*the next day at Topangas*

I sit in my normal spot with Zay and Lucus next to me. Riley lays where she used to sit with Maya, and Farkle and Smakle walk in.

"Still no Maya?" Farkle asks as they walk in.

"Nope." Zay says we sit in silence till the door swings open.

"Fine Riles. Let's talk." Maya says walking over to her spot. Riley sits up and maya sits down. "All of us. Cause if this is important to you its important to all of us."

Riley smiles at Maya. "Peaches." She says with another tear rolling down her face. "I knew you'd come back."

We spend awhile talking. They all seem to be getting a lot out of this, but all I get out of it is how Riley was right. I'm not part of this tight little group, and I don't think I ever truly will.

After what seems like forever we all leave. Instead of heading home I go back to the rooftop. Yes I know heading to Rileys house just to sit on the rooftop is a little weird, but its home. I sit at my regular spot and enjoy the short amount of silence I get.

"You know you were rather quite during the whole conversation." Zays voice says right after the door creaks open I turn towards him fully annoyed.

"And what's wrong with that?" I ask not letting my voice become loud, or letting me sound angry yet.

"If you wanna be part of the group you're gonna have to talk at some point." He says with his country accent beaming through.

"Its a lot easier staying quite. And you can't tell me to talk, cause you rarely do." I state my voice starting to sound annoyed.

"But I still talk..." He starts finally sounding annoyed with me.

"I've talked to them. Ok but they, no matter what they say, stick to their little clicks. So yeah I don't talk as much as I should, but you guys are a little preoccupied." I say cutting him off.

"We aren't preoccupied..." He says and I once again cut him off.

"Really. Tell me do you think they pay enough attention to who I am? Do they bother to learn anything about me? Do you even know how long I've been here?" I ask him still fighting to make sure I dont yell.

"We pay attention to you. And I cant speak for them. But I know you." He says avoiding my last question and now almost talking in a whisper.

"I've been here almost two months. And no one here gives a crap about me. They might pretend to but trust me they don't come close to caring. I doubt they even know you." I yell avoiding his last statement, because of course he knows me. At one point he knew me better than I knew myself. And he stays quite for awhile.

"What do you know about them?" He asks plainly.

"A lot." I start with a sarcastic smirk. "Riley is a sweet girl who hides so much. She does anything for anyone, and while doing that she burns herself out. Maya is an Amazon warrior. Even though she doesn't fully believe that. Shes stronger than ever but she is still broken. Farkle is nuts. He is a mad scientist and someone who still has some confidence issues. I'm sure he used to be insanely confident, but something changed that. Smakle is someone who has changed a lot. Shes trying to fix herself because society says she has flaws, but she dosen't. Shes just different and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Lucus is a cowboy." I pause trying not to show that I know the two of them as much as I do. "Hes got a past and people change people. If New York has taught me anything it's that." I begin to talk faster. "He's strong and just like Maya he is broken. Also just like Riley he does anything for his friends. He's protective. And you Zay are independent. Your a great friend and a complete goofball. You are someone with a past that you and Lucus keep to yourselves. And that's ok." I say and give a small pause. "Cause not talking sometimes is ok."