Girl Meets Starlight

A little bit later someone else climbs through the bay window. Maya looks over at me and we look back over at him.

"How can we help you Zay?" Maya asks with a slight laugh.

"I'm looking for Jess. I was hopping she was still with you. You know cause you wanted to show her the bay window..." He rambles until Maya cuts in.

"Yeah she just left." She says after getting him to calm down.

"Well then I better try to catch up with her." He says and starts to climb out the window.

"Oh yeah. She went up by the way." I say as the thought comes back into my head.

"Why?" He asks leaning back in the room.

"Who knows." Maya says and then he leaves.

Zay POV
Once I reach the roof I notice Jess casually leaning on the wall. I look up at the almost visible stars then back at the girl.

"You know the roof is a weird place to hang out." I say causing her to jump. Knowing her I ignore it and let her continue the conversation.

"Can I help you cowboy?" She asks turning towards me and I smile at
her.

"You know..." I start but stop myself. I couldn't mention the past. Shes become someone else. "Starring out at the sky isn't really a normal New York activity."

"Well when you've lived many places that had a great view of the stars moving to New York is kinda boring. I miss being able to see the sky." She says turning back towards the sky.

"Yeah I miss it too." I say and walk over to her and lean next to her. "I miss a lot of things about Texas. Campfires were amazing and every day there was something outdoors to do." I say and she smiles.

"You miss rodeos?" She asks and I smile remembering how much she hated watching them.

"Well I never did take part in them. I mean I did as a kid, but it was never my favorite thing to do. But yes I do miss them." I say with a smile. We sit in silence for a moment just enjoying the sky. Then she turns to me.

"Did you just come up here for stars, or did you have a reason?" She asks her voice changing into a slightly annoyed tone.

"I..." I start, but I remember why I came up and how I can't mention the past. "Just wanted to see if you are liking New York. And to make sure the girls weren't making you sit in the bay window forever." I say with a smile.

"What's so special about a window seat?" She asks walking over to the bench. She sits down as I turn to face her.

"It's there special spot." I say then slowly walk towards her. "They sit and they talk. They like to say it's a magical spot. Every time they sit there they solve live problems. It's kinda weird but that's what they do." I say and finally sit down next to her.

"I could have used a 'magical' place." She says using the air quotes with a smile. "But I think life can solve problems pretty well on it's own."

"Usually yeah." I respond looking back out at the sky. "But sometimes it's nice to have a special place."