And it's going to be the death of him.

One wrong movement and suddenly the ice cracks, earsplitting crack, and then cold.

Peter doesn't know what's happening, all he knows is the cold that's in his bones and in his lungs.

Peter!

It's a strangled scream of sorts and sounds like he's hearing it from underwater.

Underwater!

The realization makes him breathe out through his nose quickly, trying to expel the water he knows he's already inhaled and kicking his leaden legs to get back to the surface.

As soon as he hits the surface, fingers scrambling for purchase on the ice, heavy jacket weighing him down, he heaves for air, coughing up the water. Tears burning his eyes, as he chokes on the water.

His whole body is trembling, but he knows he has to keep going. He has to get his body out of the water, has to get to shore, has to get to Tony. Whatever he does.

It takes too long. Way too long, to get himself out from under the water and the world is spinning around him.

He heaves again, coughing up the water, breaths burning his lungs.

"Peter! Come on! You can do it!" Tony is shouting from the shore, and Peter lifts his heavy head to see how far the shore is.

"You can do it. You can do it. Come on. You can do it," he mumbles to himself, words getting caught in his throat and he begins to crawl, fumbling with his shaking, unwilling fingers.

And before he knows it, there's arms around his shoulders, pulling him up to his heavy legs.

"T'ny?" Peter slurs, leaning heavily against the warm body.

"You have to get those off him. Being in those wet clothes will only keep him cold. Is your car far from here?" Another voice says.

Peter's ears are ringing too much to fully comprehend the rest of the conversation. His coat his tugged off his shoulders, the wind biting into his skin, but arms are wrapped around his shoulders, holding him into another's chest.

"'wanna go home," Peter says, coughing on the words and knees trembling beneath him, barely able to hold himself up.

"I know, kid. I know. I'm so sorry. We'll get you back to the compound soon, okay?"

Peter tries to nod, but he can't seem to lift his head up after letting it fall forwards.

He spaces out again, feeling his body get light as he's lifted into someone's arms. Not Tony, but his spider-senses don't scream danger.

"Peter? Can you hear me? We need to get your clothes off, okay?" Peter hears. He thinks it's Tony but his ears are still ringing.

"Mm... Mis'er S...S'ar'?" Peter slurs, desperately trying to get his eyes to open.

It takes too much of his wasted energy, but soon he can see the world around him. They're at the car. He's being passed to Tony who's already in the car. The dad having helped carry Peter all the way back to the car.

He's still trembling, badly. All he can feel is cold.

"'m cold," he mumbles, pulling at his soaked shirt with numb, shaking fingers.

"I know. I know. Take a deep breath for me, Pete. You need to breathe," Tony says, placing his hands on Peter's shoulders.

Tony helps pull off Peter's shirt, switching it for one of Tony's old ones in the backseat. It's already making improvements, but Peter's lips are turning blue, eyes glazed over as he fumbles with his jeans.

"Cold," he repeats, unable to close his fingers enough to undo the button.

"Hold on a second, kid. I've gotta find you some new pants to put on. Wait," Tony says, grabbing the teen's fingers as he searches through their backpack they packed for the trip. Finally, he finds Peter's pair of hello kitty pajama pants.

Tony quickly helps Peter change into the pajama pants, fear running through his veins. Peter's so far out of it.

Peter fumbles with Tony's jacket, opening it up just enough to slip his body into the front of it, leaving Tony in it too.

Tony pulls the kid closer to him, pulling him onto his lap, wrapping the teen tightly.

But the kid doesn't stop trembling, lips a light shade of blue, skin a sheet white color.

Peter lifts his head up, just a little bit. "Mis... Mis'er S'ark?"

"I'm right here, kid. I've got you. Calm down. You're okay," Tony reassures, carding his fingers through Peter's wet curls.

Peter opens his mouth to speak, ending up coughing again. It takes a moment to control himself again, but when he does, he looks even more confused.

"'We at the tower? 'm cold?" Peter says, eyes unseeing as they slowly move around the car. "Why... why am I cold?"

Tony shakes his head, pulling the kids body tighter against his chest, continuing to card his fingers through his hair.

"'M tired, Mis'er... Mis'er S'ar. 'M tired," Peter slurs, clumsily fumbling for Tony's shirt.

"We're almost there. Try to keep him awake," another voice says from the front seat. Peter's too tired, too confused to try to figure out who it is or where they're going.

Peter's still shivering miserably, and Tony pulls away to tug the jacket off his shoulders and then his shirt off too, hoping the soft heat from the arc reactor plus his body heat will keep Peter warmer until they make it to the hospital. He pulls the jacket tight around Peter's shoulders, pulling Peter's small body back into his chest.

"I've got you, Peter. You're okay. You're going to be just fine. I've got you. Breathe, Petey," Tony murmurs, hugging him close.

Finally, they arrive at the hospital, Peter barely on the brink of consciousness.

"No, no, no. Peter, keep those eyes open. You can't pass out now," Tony begs as Peter struggles to keep himself awake.

"'M sorry," Peter mumbles, and finally allows himself to let go.

*

When Peter comes to, he feels warm and safe.

Unfamiliar room, but familiar arms wrapped around his back and shoulders.

He shifts a little bit, curling tighter against Tony's body in the hospital bed.

"You awake?" Tony murmurs, pressing a kiss to the kid's temple.

"Yeah... Are they okay? Tyler and Sophia, are they okay?"

Tony huffs out a small laugh. "You're in a hospital bed, after getting real close to dying, and all you care about is whether the kids are okay? Yeah... They were perfectly fine. Not even a single bruise on them. You saved their lives."

Peter sighs in relief, relaxing against Tony's warmth even more.

"The parents told me to thank you about a thousand times for saving their kids. You're so stupidly selfless... I love you, kid. You know that?"

"Love you too, Mister Stark."

____
Chapter one :)
I'll be uploading this onto AO3 as well as here and if everything goes well, it'll be uploaded every single day!

Also check out my Spideypool fic if you feel like it Glazed Eyes, Empty Hearts and my other fic Melancholy Hope if you haven't already

Lyss