15. The Deluded (Warcraft)

Start from the beginning

Again the robed figure laughed. The crackle of magic reached the young woman's ears before the tearing of her flesh began. She screamed, throwing her head back, almost catching a glimpse of her hateful subjugator. But, the figure's identity remained concealed by a large hood. Helplessly, the young woman watched with tearful eyes as manipulative fingers wove another spell. Her life-force was being visibly drawn from her in effervescent waves of indigo and emerald green.

The torment then ceased as suddenly as it had begun leaving pain and weakness behind. The woman was left gasping, her breath shortening with each assault from the hours, days she had been held captive. But, she would not be silenced and again demanded to know her vanquisher's identity.

"Not quite nobility per se, but as you wish, we will become acquainted." The figure said. "However, I will not simply tell you outright. Let us see how knowledgeable you are, first of your enemies."

"Why do you not just tell me? I am not long for this world anyway."

"Oh, but I like to be entertained, my dear."

The woman sighed, resigning herself that this 'game' would proceed how her torturer wished. "Very well, get on with it."

The robed figure continued to circle her. After a few moments, the conversation opened. "I repeat then, what do you know of your enemies?"

The woman tried to shift, but the ache from constant kneeling flared to agony as she slid onto her buttocks. Groaning, she waited until the pain lessened before talking. "The Burning Legion," she hissed. "Demons. Their leaders' reach is expansive, converting even the most innocent to do their bidding. So many have been corrupted, serving them since the War of the Ancients. Gul'dan, the orc warlock - infused with fel power and evil beyond all comprehension, now commands many of the armies in Sargeras' name. The similarity to him, by the way, is unquestionable."

Raucous laughter resounded through the caverns. "Oh please! Do I look like an orc?"

Turning her head sideways to look up, the woman scoffed. "No, but that is easily attained by your kind, through magic."

"Hmm, true, but it is not so in my case. No, I am another breed entirely. My mother, pitiful creature, saw fit to have me placed in the hands of an adoptive family. I guess she was ashamed of me, or at least of who my father was. Oh, I know! You are thinking, how do I know who my real parents were, yes?"

"Not really no, but I suppose I did ask who you were so the history lesson is unavoidable."

The figure huffed then continued circling. "You are feisty for a near corpse; I will give you that."

A scream from deeper in the caverns announced another hapless victim of the Legion's devotees. The young woman shook her head as if trying to rid the disturbing cries.

"As we are to be introduced then, albeit briefly, tell me your name, soldier." The velvet voice resumed.

"Candice Leighton," the young woman responded without hesitancy. "Lieutenant in the Stormwind Guard. I served under King Varian Wrynn."

"Unfortunate creature! He that is, not you. Although you will fare no better than he."

Candice squirmed at the reference to her king's horrific demise at the hands of Gul'dan.

"Anyway," her captor continued nonchalantly. "As I was saying, mother dearest wanted me hidden from the world. Quite how she managed to keep her pregnancy a secret I must admit is quite a mystery, that much I have not discovered - perhaps one day though..."

"She still lives?"

"Oh, yes! Very much so. I must visit her - soon." Low, cruel laughter sounded before a continuance. "As for daddy, well... He showed great promise in the larger scale of things. He had all the right attributes; formidable magical skills, a thirst for knowledge, the ability to decimate hundreds if not thousands in his pursuit of even more power. Ah yes, he was once perfect. But now - he is a disappointment."