38. I Am Free

Written for the # WattpadVampireDaywalker prompt in the #WattpadVampires profile. 17/07/23

 17/07/23

In the 400 years I've walked this Earth, I've crossed continents while steeped in darkness

In the 400 years I've walked this Earth, I've crossed continents while steeped in darkness. I went to extraordinary lengths to ensure my safe passage, using humans, who I bend to my will, to keep my body and existence secret and secure. Encased in my coffin, which is nothing more than a sturdy crate of dirt, my body was shielded from the sun's rays, allowing me to cross land and sea incognito.

Creatures, such as myself, have only one weakness - our bodies cannot withstand daylight, however subtle. Our black domain matches our souls if, indeed, we still possess them. From the first pinch of sunlight oozing over the landscape to the last throes of a dying day, we are rendered powerless, defenceless. We need complete darkness to function - or so we've been led to believe. 

I've often pondered why I can no longer bathe in the sun's golden glow. I remember when I worked the land, in summers so hot they would blister the ground. Even in winter, when the sun was low in the sky, I worked all the hours that daylight provided, and I'd only turn a delicious dark tan; no crumbling to ash or spontaneous combustion threatened me. Then, a stranger altered my life, and I was born into perpetual darkness. And there I've remained, alone mostly, with a despicable hunger that controls me and a deep-seated fear of the sun. 

Rumour has it, however, that the Hunters of my kind had long since formulated the notion that we could only move around at night. Some say it was merely a way of controlling us, to make the hunt easier during daylight hours. I don't know if that's true, but darkness is all I've known for four centuries. 

And now, in 2023, there is definite talk that we can survive daylight after all, and blend with the untainted masses as they go about their everyday lives. Such wonder. Such splendour. Such freedom!

But is it true? Or is it a fantasy wished by some vampires, yearning to move around by day? Or another lie from those who condemn us, hoping we will voluntarily walk into our annihilation? Either way, I am considering the possibility. I intend to find out in exactly three minutes and twenty-nine seconds.

I've catalogued my existence over the years, hiding segments of my story within the world's libraries. Why, you wonder? I consider myself a tutor of vampirism, having been subjected to the lifestyle for so long. Yet, I'm uncertain whether my words serve as a guide for 'newborn' vampires to survive this horrendous existence or as a warning to the human race that the monsters, now immortalised within film and literature, are, in fact, very, very real.