29. Seraphic Sinner

♥♥♥ Entered as part of the Trials of Love contest which is spread across a wide number of participating profiles in collaboration with @Romance. The one I have chosen to enter is in the Horns & Halos profile. ♥♥♥

Music: ANGEL ||R Armando Morabito ft Julie Elven

How could the emotion which he felt so deeply be deemed as a cardinal sin? Was love not a gift? A divine blessing? Then why were there such - boundaries? And obstacles? These questions and more gripped the young angel's mind

Qaphsiel's conscience was tortured by a pained forbearance yet his heart was buoyant, expectant, hopeful. This was a circumstance in which he never expected to find himself.

He was in love with a mortal.

That was forbidden.

It had been outwith his control though - a sudden jolt, a spark, a lightning bolt. And before he'd known where he was, his heart had been bound to a mortal woman. When he'd succumbed to the blissfulness of her tender touch he'd still continued his heavenly duties with reverence. He afforded the utmost subtlety and decorum when with her, protecting her identity, keeping her safe but he knew he was being watched. The penalty for such desire and longing was eternal damnation.

Many had plummeted to the mortal world for this indiscretion. They had been ousted, abandoned by God and their fellow angels - left to roam the world, oft without the very ones who had so captivated them in the first place. And yes, he also once looked upon them with scorn.

Therein lay his true shame. His deification had made him believe he was above such emotions, his was a far greater acclamation; his love and duty to God. Mortal love was looked upon as trivial, impure. Yet, it was an agony unlike anything he had ever known - it was both inexorably sublime and painfully overwhelming.

As he sat upon the edge of the marble fountain, he wept with both sadness and joy creating ripples which opened to ever-increasing circles in the Pool of Temperance. Floating within the mirrored waters lay an image of a King's court. He studied the people as they went about their daily business. Helplessly, his eyes drifted to the very woman who had stolen his heart.

"What troubles you, Qaphsiel?" Temeluchus enquired of his brethren. "You seem - preoccupied."

The young angel, momentarily surprised, shifted awkwardly as his peer stepped up beside him. With a wave of his hand, he banished the image which swam before his eyes and once more his reflection, framed by the delicate fronds of an overhanging willow, was all that stared back. He had desperately wanted to be left alone to ponder; to dream. But, even amid the vastness of Heaven, with its myriad of avenues, plazas and meadows, there was no such solitude to be found. Or so it seemed. "'Tis nothing I cannot handle, Temeluchus," he replied, looking askance.