Part 25

Sokka's POV:

Today was the day a life-changing decision would be made. A choice that ultimately came down to revenge or family. Yue's warning was taken into consideration but the young soldier had already come this far, he had to see this all through. The thought of Zuko marrying his sister disgusted him, he couldn't let such a thing happen. One way or another he would make sure it didn't, even if it might cost him his own life.

Disguised in a tan cloak the shores of the Fire Nation were crowded, visitors traveling in from all over. This only made it easier to go unnoticed. Sokka could admit to himself he didn't exactly have a set plan. He knew what his final goal was but not how to pursue it. Acting on pure instinct he made his way through the crowded streets heading toward the palace. He refused to let any anxiety overtake him, as confident as he could be it was apparent in his step. Of course having never attended a Fire Nation wedding he was a bit clueless of the process. However, he did remember a few key details his grandmother once told him in a historical fairy tale she told him as a child. At some point of the wedding, the newlywed couple would drink an ancient wine out of their designated chalice.

Of course, the palace grounds were flooded by people of all nations, nearly every inch of the grounds covered. Security was tight but not nearly enough. Sneaking around the side of the large building he found a rickety fire escape reaching right up to an open balcony. Looking around to make sure no one was looking he pulled himself up the metal stairs, lunging over the edge of the balcony. Staying close to the ground he peered down the halls, multiple royal staff members scurrying around. He waited for the very last person to walk by, pausing for a few seconds before making his way into the main hall.

Hundreds of seats lined each side of the hall, intricate decorations already hung for the celebration. His presence still undetected he made his way up the aisle to the raised stage where the ceremony would eventually take place that evening. Two chalices were placed on a golden podium. Slipping his bag off from his shoulder he pulled a small clear glass bottle from the bag, sprinkling a white crystal substance into the bottom of the cup Zuko would soon drink out of.

His plans would soon follow through. All he could do now was blend into the crowd and watch his revenge unfold.

Zuko's POV:

Unable to see Katara he spent the majority of his morning relaxing before the ceremony. There was only one more thing he needed to do, a painful memory he hated to reminisce on. Making his way down to the underground level of the palace he rummaged through forgotten boxes, one single item in mind. Of course, this had been his mother's royal hairpiece, abandoned those years ago. This simple item held a greater importance to him, and it would finally find its way home. No one would be more worthy to wear it than Katara herself. Clutching the hairpiece tightly he smiled, only allowing him to remember the happiest of memories on such an exciting day. Returning upstairs he met with Iroh in his chambers, fully prepared for a full strung pep talk that wouldn't change a thing. Closing the door behind them, Iroh instantly wrapped his arms tightly around him.

"I see you found your mothers hairpiece... what a lovely item. Katara will look radiant finally wearing it."

"Is everything already taken care of?"

"Of course, I wouldn't want either of you to have to worry about a single thing. The hall is decorated including the palace grounds, the rings are safe away, the dining hall is prepared for afterward, every single thing."

"I have a feeling you've been planning this for a while now.."

"I'm just happy to see you happy, Zuko."

"How is the status on security?"

"No worries, I do have to admit there are a lot more guests than we could have ever imagined, but we have everything handled. You just focus on your day. You should start getting ready, huh?"