Part 18

Zuko's POV:

They returned to the palace settling into the new master bedroom for the night. Zuko woke early in the morning before sunrise, running on little sleep. He left Katara to sleep in and chose to meet with his uncle. Meeting in the main hall the two were seated, instantly served tea by one of the guards. They sat in silence for a few moments, Zuko's nerves taking over. Iroh finally spoke up, "What do you need to discuss with me so early? I don't think I've ever seen you up at such a time."

"I couldn't sleep... I have a lot on my mind."

"What is bothering you?"

"I've thought long and hard about this... And Katara's father briefly hinted at this as well... I wanted to be sure this was what I wanted and hopefully what she would want before discussing this with anyone..."

"Ah you have finally opened your eyes to this..."

"I want to ask her to marry me, uncle."

Nearly jumping from his seat Iroh moved to his nephew, squeezing him tightly with a radiant smile.

"Happy news! Happy news! What a better way to bring our nations together-"

"I have also been writing up a treaty that would go along with this, I am offering open trade with their nation, as our ally a window of opportunities would be offered to them, this peace treaty would bind our nations together and restore the world peace we have been trying to maintain. I believe both tribes would accept without the influence of Sokka. I want to send troops around the world to find him. He would be the only person who could destroy this hope for the treaty..."

"I agree... We will pursue this order to find him... but let's get back to the wedding-"

"Uncle... I don't even know if she will accept..."

"Oh she will... let me find something-"

Iroh exited the chambers for a few short moments, returning with a large black box with an intricate dragon carved into it. He presented the box to him, pulling it open to reveal a gold woven ring featuring a large shined ruby with smaller diamonds surrounding the main gem.

"Zuko... This ring has been passed down in our family for many generations. This is the same ring your father once presented your mother, and now it is yours for the taking. This ring, and this proposal is the key to not only strengthening our relations with both Water Tribes, but also the rest of the world. I wish you luck and happiness young Zuko."

The young Firelord accepted the ring with shaky hands, hiding it safely away in his pocket. He stood from his throne, for once hugging his uncle tightly.

"Thank you for everything, uncle... There's just one more thing I have to do..."

Turning to one of the guards standing by the chamber door he ordered, "Please ask Hakoda to meet with me."

The guard quickly exited after bowing, disappearing down the hall. Iroh exited leaving Zuko alone with his thoughts. Not only would this hopefully end the war, but he couldn't picture himself marrying anyone other than Katara. Minutes passed by and his hands grew shaky, small droplets of sweat pouring down his pale face. Even after their reassuring moment the previous night, he was still terrified the girl would decline. Painstaking minutes passed by before Hakoda entered the chambers. He approached the thrown with a smile, taking a seat before him.

"Good morning Firelord Zuko, how may I help you?"

Zuko stood from his thrown, pulling the intricate ring out of his pocket and presenting it to the man.

"I was blinded by my own nerves and doubts for too long, your daughter has quickly become the center of my entire world. I promise you I will protect her and love her until death do us part. I am going to ask Katara to marry me tonight, but I want to make sure I have your blessing beforehand."

Hakoda traced his fingers along the edges of the ring before handing it back over. With a smile and a bold movement he wrapped his arms around the other man before pulling away.

"This.... This warms my heart... She loves you Zuko, that is so clear to me... Nothing would make me happier than for you both to marry. You have my full blessing moving forward with this."

It felt as if a huge weight was lifted from his chest. Of course the fear of her possible rejection still lingered but he appreciated the blessing from both Hakoda and his uncle. Hakoda turned to leave, assuring him before leaving, "You're going to make her a very happy woman, Zuko."

Now left to himself he whispered, "I sure hope so..."