Part 9

Zuko's POV:

After a long nights rest Zuko woke, mentally preparing himself for the journey ahead. Leaving from Kyoshi Island , the two stocked up the small motor boat , quickly speeding away from the shore. Iroh had begged to join them but Zuko knew he would have to be put in charge just in case he didn't return. Uncle was also probably the best person to stick behind and handle any backlash.

Both dressed in hooded cloaks, Zuko navigated the boat carefully knowing Toph would be completely defensive until they reached land. Zuko mapped their trip out intricately, avoiding any trade routes. Even in a motorized boat it was still a day or two long journey.

They sat in silence, Zuko hoping Hakoda would receive his letter sent earlier that morning before they reached land. It was a stretch to ask for his help, but it was their only way to gain access into Katara's cell.

After what seemed like days, Toph finally chose to break the silence , "You know Sparky, this is the most effort I've seen you put into anything before."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"This is all an awful lot for someone you barely know..."

The man sighed , knowing she had a point.

"Toph, it's hard to explain... There has always been something about her that draws me to her. I care about her a lot more than I should. I just can't put everything to the side until I can figure out what that something is."

"You know, we could of brought an army or an Aang or something-"

"Aang has nothing to do with this... I appreciate everything he's done for the world and I feel guilty knowing I've done something wrong to ruin that peace... This is my battle to fight."

"Understandable.... This waters making me nauseous..."

They resumed sitting in silence until the sun began to set. Zuko pulled out waters, snacks, and sleeping bags from one of their backpacks.

"Looks like we'll be on shore by the time we wake up..."

"Let's just hope no one spots us until we do, I feel useless on this damn boat!"

Zuko shut his eyes , hoping to get at least a few hours of sleep. He dozed off , still on edge. He woke to a loud rumbling , noticing Toph had been pulling on his sleeve frantically.

"Z-Zuko I feel something coming... What is that?!"

He grabbed the girl, both kneeling as low as they could. Luckily it was still dark, he hoped if they stood silent no one would notice them. He peeked his eyes over the edge of the boat to see a large military ship passing by.

"What the hell?" Zuko whispered out.

After a few moments it felt like a weight had been lifted. They both sighed in relief , still a few hours left to go, they returned to resting.