Part 20

Katara's POV:

Waking in the morning she rolled over to find Zuko already missing. It was a rare occurrence for him to be up so early. Forcing herself out of bed she dressed for the day, exiting the room. The newly constructed palace had a very similar layout to the original, just a tad bit more modernized and lavish. Moving her way through the halls she made her way to the royal quarters. Stopping at the door for a short moment, she knocked before letting herself in. Finding Zuko in his throne she approached him with a smile.

"Hey you're up early."

"Couldn't really sleep so I figured it wasn't worth it to keep trying."

Zuko stood from his seat, making his way over to her side. Pulling her slender body against his own he kissed her forehead before pulling away.

"So what are the plans for today, huh? Another mysterious blindfolded trip or maybe a boat trip to enemy land?"

"Ha, I think we'll avoid the risk of a heart attack today, but today will be a special one... How about we head into town for breakfast?"

"Sounds good!"

Escorted into town the two chose to give a popular diner known as 'The Fiery Flame' a try. Zuko's presence was obviously known, customers quickly pouring in to 'dine amongst the Fire Lord'.

They were quickly served, Zuko chiming in, "You see my father was well... You've met him... The citizens are still shocked to see me out and about, actually interacting with them like a normal person. So this is normal..."

"Well I can understand that."

Diving into their meals it wasn't long before three teens were seated a table over, eyes locked onto the young couple. Katara soon noticed their peering eyes, setting her fork down. This for Zuko's attention, cocking his head to the side a bit confused.

"Hey is there something wrong with your food?"

"Oh no it's great just..." She lowered her voice before continuing, "Those kids over there..."

"Hey staring is common, get used to it."

"No just... They look eerily familiar..."

"You probably saw them the other day in town, don't be getting all paranoid now."

Katara laughed it off, agreeing she was probably just overreacting. They finished their meal, Zuko quietly instructing the guards to let them return on their own, assuming Katara wouldn't hear. Of course as she considered herself, that was out of the question. The soldiers quickly left, the two now left on their own.

Zuko's POV:

Hand in hand the two took the longer route home to the palace, Zuko leading her into the large garden on the grounds. Taking a seat on the edge of the fountain Zuko wrapped his arms around the girl.

"This used to be my favorite place to just sit and think when I was younger. My mother and I would come out here to avoid all of the royal chaos inside."

"What was she like?"

"Hm..."

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to."

"No it's not that... it's just hard to remember sometimes. She was so sweet and caring, the polar opposite of my father. She really loved the arts, theater, music, all of that. I was her favorite... She really loved me that was clear."

"Of course she did, how could anyone not?"

"Eh I guess I have my moments."

"You're a great guy Zuko, there's no need to be so hard on yourself all of the time."

"You just bring out the best in me."

"Hm I don't think so, I just see passed that hard shell you like to put up for others."

Choosing to change the subject, "So what do you think about the palace?"

"Of course it's beautiful, I'm just shocked they finished it so quickly."

"One thing our nation is great for is construction, they get all of that done quickly."

"Seems like it,"

"Do you miss home at all?"

"Well of course I miss my brother... Well who he used to be... But I've settled in nicely, I hope I'm not overstaying my welcome."

"Not at all, you know I love having you here, so you're sure you don't miss home?"

"There's never been much for me there. It'll always be my home, but I'm happy here with you."

"I'm glad to hear that..." Standing from his seat he stood in front of her, holding both of her hands in his own. "You know, this could be your home too..."

"W-What do you mean?"

"W-Well... You can stay here with me, y-you know, long term..."

His nerves building up he took a deep breath, releasing her hands from his grasp. Fully aware the worst that could happen is her saying no, he chose to let fate take its course. Easing himself on the ground getting down on one knee, shaking hands reached into his pocket, presenting the ring to her with a weary smile. Her eyes widened instantly. Taking another deep breath he continued on, "Katara... You are the most beautiful, kind hearted woman I have ever met... Something about you has always drawn me to you, I was never able to put my finger on it and it drove me crazy. Now I'm certain that I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you... Katara, will you make me the happiest man alive by marrying me?"

Hands still shaking these short few seconds seemed to pass by as if they were a lifetime. Katara jumped up from her seat, wrapping her arms tightly around him nearly knocking him to the ground. Tears streamed down from her face, refusing to let go. Her words weak through muffled cries of joy she finally managed out, setting the mans nerves at ease, "I thought you'd never ask..."

Zuko held onto her tightly, stroking his fingers through her hair. After a few moments she finally pulled away, him wiping the tears from her cheeks. Holding out her hand with a smile he slipped the ruby ring onto her finger, her eyes focusing on the ring with a bright smile. Pulling him in once more she pressed her lips against his own, they two stood from their position before Katara mumbled out, "I need to go tell my father-"

"I consider myself to be what they call a gentleman, sweetheart. He has our blessing."

Even more thrilled by that statement she held onto his hand tightly, the both giddy with excitement. Making their way through the palace doors Iroh, Hakoda, and a huge crowd of others greeted them, eyes spotting the ring instantly. Iroh popped open a bottle of champagne, yelling out, excitement fueling his words, "She said yes! She said yes!"

The couple couldn't help but laugh, Iroh and Hakoda quickly making their way over, arms wrapped tightly around them from all directions.