➵ 1.5 - michael

((Vote now or you'll forget 😊 ily guys a lot))

Jade was a big, hot mess. And also a fucking idiot. Why did she have to get in the way? Bryce was a dick, of course he wouldn't care that he was hurting a girl. That was exactly why he was trying to force himself on Daisy even though she was clearly drunk and uncomfortable. And that was also why Jade's right eyebrow was bleeding a little where she had scratched it against the ground when she fell. And she had a goddamn stud in it for fuck's sake. What was he supposed to do? He wanted her to have a good time, not a bloody eyebrow.

In the car, she kept complaining about wanting another beer, but Michael didn't want to get in trouble so he kept distracting her with ridiculous stories that he made up on the spot, most of them involving his nonexistent cat named Tex. Apparently, she loved cats a lot.

Michael drove to a local drugstore and left Jade in the car while he went to buy a pack of band aids. He ended up buying some M&M's as well. When he came back, Jade had pulled out the stud from her eyebrow. Michael didn't even question how or why. He didn't think she was in the state to answer coherently. Michael threw the candy in her lap and pulled out a couple of band aids, tearing the wrappers and throwing them in the back. "Look at me," he said. Jade was looking out the window again. She did that a lot, Michael noticed.

"You're not the boss of me," she said and put a bunch of M&M's in her mouth.

"C'mon, Little Mermaid," Michael pleaded. "I'll give you a beer if you look here."

Jade sighed dramatically and turned her head so she was facing him. She raised her eyebrows. "What?" She looked awfully adorable, if that made any sense. Like, she looked so awful it was adorable. Michael shook his head and placed a band aid on her eyebrow. He probably should have cleaned the cut first, but Jade wasn't the only idiot in the car.

"I want ice cream," Jade said out of nowhere. She put the opened bag of M&M's in Michael's hand and pouted. "Get me ice cream."

"You're not the boss of me," Michael said in a horrible imitation of her voice.

"Fine," Jade muttered. She grabbed the bag of M&M's and dumped all the candy out the window before Michael could stop her. She glared at Michael and ripped off the band aid from her eyebrow, throwing that out as well.

"What are you? Four?" Michael said sarcastically. Jade didn't say anything and just kept glaring at him. He glared back. Not only did she really painfully take off the band aid and undoubtedly pulled out some hair, she also threw away the candy that Michael bought. She was a mean drunk, that was quite obvious.

"Actually, I turn 18 on the June 6," Jade replied.

Michael quickly did some mental math. "And I turned 18 five months ago. What's your point?"

"Good for you," Jade said. "Now get me some ice cream."

"Put on a band aid first," Michael said.

Jade rolled her eyes and took the box from his hands. "You must be a pain to live with," she said as she sloppily put the band aid on. Michael couldn't help but notice how much neater he had done it.

"What if I don't get you ice cream?" Michael said, just to annoy her. "You wasted my M&M's."

Jade brought her hand up and started peeling off the band aid, not saying anything.

"Stop it!" Michael said loudly, biting back his laugh. "Jesus, I spent money on those things. I'll buy you the damned ice cream. Jeez."

Jade stopped her ridiculous blackmail and laughed. She threw her head back against the seat and closed her eyes and laughed like there was no tomorrow. Michael quickly pulled out his phone and opened up the note he had started a few days ago. In more than a week of knowing Jade, she had only laughed or smiled in front of Michael only three times. She didn't seem like the kind of person who smiled a lot, so Michael was keeping track of all the times she did it because of him.