➵ 0.9 - michael

Michael went straight home from the hospital. He didn't stick around to ask Richard what would happen to Jade's mom or who would arrange the funeral. He didn't care about anything at the moment. Last night and this morning, he had known Jade as this cocky, witty firecracker. Now in just a few short hours he had seen her experience some kind of a panic attack and witnessed her lose her mother right in front of his eyes. It had exhausted Michael. So he did the only thing he wanted to do. He went home.

But the minute he walked in, he wished he had decided to stay out for a while. Preferably the whole night. Because sitting in the living room, chatting with his mother was Daisy Edwards. Michael debated doing one of three things. One, he could turn back around without saying a word and just get the hell out of there before either of the women noticed him. Two, he could still turn around and use the back door to get to his room and not deal with Daisy. Or three, he could march in there with pride and tell Daisy to kindly fuck off. But before Michael had the chance to do any one of those things, his mom's eyes landed on him and Daisy's followed.

"Oh, I wasn't expecting you until later," Michael's mom said.

Michael shrugged, his eyes locked on Daisy's. He mumbled something about being tired and tried to get away, but of course Daisy wouldn't leave unless she got what she wanted. Which made Michael wonder. What did she want?

"Can we talk please?" she asked in that sickly sweet voice that made Michael's insides churn with disgust. How the hell had he been attracted to her enough to want to date her for more than seven months?

"I'm kinda tired," Michael said, not in the mood for her bullshit. He just wanted to sleep.

"Please, Michael?" She had the nerve to bat her eyelashes at him.

"Michael, she came all the way down here to see you," his mother said. "Don't be rude." Michael huffed. Of course, she would take her side. No one wanted Michael and Daisy to be together more than his mom did. But then again, she didn't know about Daisy and all the fucked up things she was capable of doing. His mother got up from the sofa and patted Michael's shoulder. "Don't disappoint me." With that, she left him with Daisy, who was picking at the hem of her too short skirt.

"What do you want?" Michael didn't waste any time. He really, really didn't want to deal with her.

"Nice to see you too," Daisy said sarcastically.

Michael dragged a hand through his hair. "Cut the pleasantries and tell me what the fuck you're up to," he shot back.

Daisy flinched back at his hostile tone and glared at him. "I came to apologize, okay? I feel bad about what I did."

Michael scratched his chin, pretending to be deep in thought. He gave Daisy a warm smile before saying, "Apology not accepted."

"Oh, come on, Mikey," she groaned and stood up from the couch. "Don't be rude." She took a few steps and put her hands on his chest.

"One, my name is Michael." He grabbed her wrists and let her arms fall by her sides. "And two, don't touch me."

But, oh no, heavens forbid if Daisy ever listened to anyone. She put her hands back on Michael's chest. "Please, Michael, I'm sorry. Just give me another chance and I'll show you how much I love you."

Forget whether she was telling the truth or not, just her words made Michael want to throw up. Michael pushed past Daisy and stood a few feet away from her. "If that's what you came to say, then you can leave."

"Michael, I've said sorry so many times. What do I have to do to make it okay for you?" Daisy shouted, pissing Michael off.

"You don't have to do anything," Michael threw in her face, his voice dangerously low. "No amount of sorry's and apologies will make it okay. You can't cheat on a guy, date another guy and cheat on him and then come crawling back to the first. Nothing about that is okay."