➵ 4.7 - jade

It came as a surprise to absolutely no one that Luke and Bryn were announced prom king and queen. The entire student body adored them - that was all one thousand plus of them. It was hard to hate a couple that was as in love as those two were.

Michael and Jade were still lost in the courtyard when Calum found them. Michael was still holding Jade against, both of them swaying to the beat of the music inside. Jade was still reeling from Michael's sudden declaration from not even an hour ago.

"I love you."

Michael loved her. Did she love him? What even was love? She loved Ashton, but she had never been in love. Was that how Michael had meant it? That he was in love with her? How was that supposed to change things between them? She had been too shell shocked to respond to him, but then he'd said, "Just relax," and it was enough to calm her down for the moment.

"Why so quiet, Angel?" Michael asked as they walked down the parking lot hand in hand.

"Just tired," Jade said and then raised her eyebrows at him. "Angel?"

"I'm trying to find a nickname for you that fits. Ashton has one and I think I deserve to have my own. Beside, Angel is perfect for you."

Jade let out a small laugh. "I'm the farthest thing from an angel, Michael."

"Not true," Michael disagreed. "You're my own personal angel."

Jade didn't argue. She just wanted to get in bed and sleep. Social situations really weren't her thing anymore, so this whole night had taken a bit of a toll on her. "Did you have a good time?"

"I did." She actually had enjoyed herself. Most of their time was spent alone in the courtyard, which had been nice. "Thanks for bringing me."

They reached Michae's car and he opened the door for her. Rather than saying something, Jade slid in the car and reached for the seat belt, but Michael beat her to it. He leaned over her as he buckled her in. "I can work a seat belt myself, Michael," she said now, unable to resist it.

"I know you can." Michael smiled a little and kised the top of her forehead before rounding around to the driver's side. "But I like to do stuff for you, so, please, let me."

Jade closed her eyes, trying to get some well deserved sleep. But as soon as she did, Bryce's face flashed against the darkness and she heard the only words he'd said that had affected Jade.

"Your boyfriend is still seeing his ex."

Jade knew it couldn't be true. She knew Michael. He wouldn't cheat. Jade or no Jade, she knew Michael wouldn't cheat on anyone. The way he stood up Evelyn the other day and then even at the party, which seemed a lifetime ago, he'd defended someone he'd thought wasn't being treated right. Jade knew that person could never cheat. Especially not on Jade, not after everything they'd been through.

"You can spend the night at mine," Michael said at one point, bringing Jade out of her conflicted thoughts.

"It's a school night," Jade said.

"Yes, and?" Michael didn't look at her, but he was grinning.

"And exams start tomorrow."

He shrugged. "You're graduating, Angel," he said casually, but Jade was starting to react to the name. It was sweet. "These exams don't count. But if you're so worried, I'll drive you."

"Ashton drives me," Jade said and started unwrapping the corsage from around her wrist.

"I can do it tomorrow."

"Ashton will."

"I hate Ashton."

"I love him." As soon as the words left her mouth, Jade wished she could take them back. Not because they weren't true, but because she felt bad. Not even an hour earlier Michael had confessed his love for Jade - to which she hadn't replied - and now here she was saying she loved another guy.