Chapter 14: A Day at the Shelter

Start from the beginning

"If you girls don't mind, I would really like it if you could feed this section of animals while I feed the other one. All their specific food is labeled. Each animal gets one cup of their own food." said Fluttershy.

"We'd love to, right Twilight?" asked Sunset.

Twilight looked from the kitten to Sunset.

"Oh, yes," replied Twilight.

Fluttershy smiled. She gave them each a cup before grabbing her own.

"Thank you, girls," said Fluttershy, walking to the other section of animals.

Sunset and Twilight walked into their section, still holding their cups. Sunset decided to feed the cats first.

Twilight chose the dogs. She wanted to keep her distance from Sunset. She didn't want to hurt Sunset's feelings, but she wanted to know the truth. She didn't want to be used again like she'd been at Crystal Prep.

Sunset looked over at Twilight, who was feeding a beagle. She smiled as she saw how Twilight played with the puppy.

She looked away when she saw Twilight look up. She felt her cheeks flush as she thought of her.

She got up and grabbed a cup of food for one of the tabby cats. She opened the cage, making the cat shrink away. She noticed the cats' behavior. She wondered if animals could sense that she wasn't human. She placed the food in the cat's dish before she closed the door.

Twilight fed the beagle his food. She closed his door and went to feed the chihuahua. She didn't want to sit in the awkward silence that filled the air.

"How are you, Sunset?" asked Twilight. Her voice was shaky as she tried to muster enough courage to speak.

Sunset felt a pang of guilt as she heard the shakiness in Twilight's voice. She understood Twilight's reason for being uneasy around her. But that didn't ease the sting of her actions.

"I am doing...okay. What about you, Twilight?" asked Sunset.

The silence in the air was heavy. Sunset looked at Twilight, who looked back at her. For a moment, Sunset's heart thundered in her chest as she stared into Twilight's eyes. She wanted the moment to last forever.

Twilight looked away as she spoke.

"I-I am doing good. I really enjoy being here, with you," replied Twilight.

Twilight's cheeks burned as she thought of Sunset. Though, her mistrust of Sunset kept her at a distance. She moved on from the chihuahua as she moved to the labrador next to it.

A half hour passed without another word. Sunset and Twilight busied themselves with feeding the animals. Neither seemed to acknowledge the other's presence.

Fluttershy walked in just as Sunset and Twilight finished the last of the animals. She felt the tension in the air. She was about to walk back out when Sunset noticed her.

"Hey, Fluttershy, we're done. I hope that we helped. It was fun to say hi to all these adorable kittens." said Sunset, holding a black kitten.

Sunset placed the kitten back its proper cage after filling its food dish. She looked at Twilight who was lost in petting an adorable Australian shepherd puppy.

"Well, girls, that is all I really needed help with. So, if you want, you can play with some of the puppies out back." offered Fluttershy.

Twilight looked at Fluttershy. She wanted to stay here but she needed to go home for a while. She had promised her mom that she would help her.