Chapter 14: A Day at the Shelter

Beginne am Anfang

'Okay. I will be here to show Twilight around. I am glad to have the help today.'

Sunset sent a quick 'okay' before turning off her phone. She grabbed her motorcycle keys before she locked the front door. She found her bike in its usual spot in the garage. She pulled out of the garage before she started it up.

Revving the engine, she drove up to Twilight's house. She was glad that it was only a five-minute drive. She turned off the engine as she parked her bike.

She took a deep breath as she walked up to the front door. She knocked on the door three times. She waited for an answer.

As she went to knock again, the door opened. She quickly drew her hand back.

"Hey, Twilight. I am glad that you agreed to go to the shelter with me," said Sunset, looking down nervously.

Twilight kept looking at Sunset. She wasn't used to seeing Sunset, who was usually confident, acting this shy and nervous. She moved her glasses up as she spoke.

"Me...too," said Twilight.

They both stood there awkwardly for a few moments. Sunset decided to break the ice.

"So, you all set?" asked Sunset.

Twilight nodded. She was unable to speak. She had to admit that it was nice to talk to Sunset, despite the mistrust she felt about Sunset.

Sunset handed Twilight a helmet as she swung her legs around the bike.

Twilight put the helmet on as she sat on the bike. She hesitated as she placed her hands around Sunset's waist.

Sunset smiled to herself as she felt Twilight's hands around her waist. She felt goosebumps form from the contact. She revved the engine as Twilight held on.

Twilight was pulled back as the motorcycle lurched forward. But with her hold on Sunset, she didn't feel it as much. She enjoyed watching the city rush by as Sunset drove.

Soon the crowded city buildings began to dwindle into a much quieter suburban part of town. She also noticed that the crowds seem to get smaller with each passing minute. Finally, they pulled up to a small, pale yellow building.

Sunset felt the pressure around her waist lessen. Part of her wanted Twilight to never let go. But she took off her helmet, knowing that she had to earn back Twilight's trust.

She led the way as she headed towards the front door. She walked in, holding the door for Twilight. "Hey, Fluttershy. We're here," said Sunset.

Fluttershy came out from the back. She was holding a baby kitten. It meowed as she sat it down on the counter.

"Hey, Sunset. I am glad you guys could make it. I would like to have some extra help around here." greeted Fluttershy.

As Twilight stepped closer to the counter, the curious kitten walked over to her. It meowed as it pawed at her shirt.

"Aww. Aren't you just so cute?" asked Twilight.

Fluttershy smiled. She was glad that Twilight seems to have a connection with animals. She looked at Sunset, who smiled back at her.

"That is one of our newborn kittens. She is a few weeks old. This is her first time meeting someone new. And she seemed to have to take a liking to you." said Fluttershy.

Twilight looked from the kitten to Fluttershy. She adjusted her glasses as she said, "Wow. She is really active for such a young animal. And I have to admit that I have taken a liking to her as well."

Sunset walked over to Fluttershy.

"So, what do you need us to do, Fluttershy?" asked Sunset.

Fluttershy took the kitten as she walked ahead of Twilight and Sunset. She led them to a corridor of animals ranging from cats to dogs.