Chapter 26 - Distract Me

There's nothing quite like the ache of the head and body when you wake up on a dreary day. I don't even have the energy to lift myself up and stretch. I'd love nothing more than to have the day off and sleep until god knows when. But alas, a full-time job calls and awaits.

I manage to leave my warm, inviting bed, and barely make it to the bathroom before having to sit down and rest. My tired legs feel like jelly and my arms feel like sandbags weighing me down. Don't go, they wail.

Its not until after I eat my breakfast do I feel somewhat alive and less like a zombie waken from its slumber.

I take the bus to the office. The weather outside is absolutely gruesome. It had just rained before I had awoken and so the air was awfully humid. The raindrops were still dripping down the bus windows, their crystal-clear complexions disappearing one after another. The sun also shines, making the atmosphere even hotter. I can feel the sweat form on my body and its disgusting. The people around me are the same, our poor bodies huddled in the cramped bus during rush hour. Ten times more grateful the office has air conditioning.

I manage to find a decent spot where I have decent room for my body and my face isn't in someone's sweaty armpit. I struggle to find my headphones in my backpack, rummaging through the notebooks and wallet and gum packets.

Well shit, I thought. I forgot them.

I'm pulling my hand out the bag when I see a wire looped around my wrist. I manage to untangle and remove it from the mess. Its a pair of black earphones, with a small white "J" painted on the of the outer ear bud shells.

They're the earphones that Taehyung gave me.

The thought of his name strikes sore cord in me and I shut the thought out. These will have to do for now.

•••••••

The cool air from the office AC blows in my face and ruffles my hair, like a soft-touching, invisible hand emerging from the breeze. I take in a breath of fresh air, relieved to be out of the hot, steamy morning rush hour.

I walk to the break room to grab a cup of coffee. My coworker Hyun, the man who is known for how he prefers half his name than his full one, is standing there eating a danish. His layered black hair is always tamed to perfection unlike his loose tie. He's quite handsome and is kind but like me, isn't looking for a relationship.

"You got a big day ahead of you, Seoyeon. I heard the big man talking about some of the stuff you gotta do." Hyun says as I pour some cream into my cup of coffee.

"Sounds like I'm a player in a videogame." I chuckle.

"Player one, are you ready to take on the biggest task of the century? The fate of justice sits on your shoulders!" He plays, lowering his voice and playfully pulling an authoritative posture.

I can only hope I am.

••••••

Shortly after, I'm walking through the million hallways of the station. I make my way to the basement level of the station; the concrete walls and pillars keeping the place warm.