Chapter 4-Formal

I don't remember how many times I looked around that apartment after finding it locked whenever I came for the past 3 days. I even tried leaving to see if the man would enter his house. Didn't work.

I opened up my notebook again, filled with several notes. Nothing useful if I had to be honest with you. Suddenly, I felt like I was being stared down. I turned around slowly to find the man staring at me. We stood in silence for what felt like hours although it was only a few seconds.

I stuttered a small, "I-I'll be leaving now, I was just strolling...."

He looked at me dead in the eyes,

"Why do you keep following me."

His voice was deep but smooth, which surprised me. A mask still adorned his face. Does he wear the same outfit everyday?

"I'm not following you..."

"Leave me alone." He walked back to the door and after a minute, he opened the door and was gone.

"Wait!" I exclaimed too late. "Who are you...?" I whispered to myself. I scolded myself. Don't be like this, you're a professional. Just come back tomorrow and you'll slowly get the answer.

The next day I went back again and waited. No more lying. I mean, I planned to say that I wanted to know who he was and why he was alone here just out of curiousity, which is technically true. Would he believe me? I hope he does.

I turn the corner to the apartment to find the man already resting his back against the door, his eyes looking to his right. He was waiting for me, wasn't he? Did he see me? I stand there in silence thinking about what to do. Run? Come back later? I look at my shoes pondering hard, I can almost hear the gears in my brain turning. But then I hear footsteps and a pair of black dress shoes are in front of my normal boots. I look up again, my thought out idea gone from my mind. I stare blankly. What do I do??!

"Back again. What do you want." He asked, monotone. His eyes drill into me.

"I-I just want to get to know you...you're all alone here and uhm-" I'm cut off when he turns around.

"I'm fine being alone. Now go away." He says.

"Why?"

"Just. Go. Away." He snaps; I can see the anger through his mask.

I can't help but feel annoyed when I see how angry he gets easily. I don't want to give him up just yet. Whether its the killer or not, I want to get to know him. Maybe he'll become a good friend.

"I'm not leaving." I say. He ignores me.

"I said I don't want you here." He tells me, about to walk into his apartment, inaccessible until tomorrow.

I start walking home since I doubt I can knock on the door until he comes out. I turn on my phone. 5 new messages from my friend Yeon Soo. She was born in Korea and we went to school together but she recently went to America for her job. I miss her.

YeonSoo: "Hey what r u up to rn"

                  "Answer meee"

                  *2 missed calls*

                  ":'("

Me: "sorry I was busy"

       "got a case on a serial killer ;)))"

"Uve got to be shitting me"

"I shit u not"

"Tell me everything"

"I gotta find him then gain his trust and later turn him in I might've found him but idk"

"That's lit omg"

"Yeah ik but the guy never wants to talk"

"Not surprised ur a stranger"

"No shit Sherlock but I gotta make it work"

"Good luck"

"Thanks"

"I gtg byeee😘"

"😘"

I exit my messages and later find myself at home with a new scarf. Its a blanket scarf and I got it for a great deal; its also really good looking, super soft and warm.

I put it on my desk, I'll definitely use it tomorrow since the weather forecast said it'd be chilly in the night. The man comes home everyday at 6pm. I'm not sure if he leaves after. I wonder what he does before. Maybe he schemes for times to kill his next victim. I can't help but feel energized by these thoughts. The adrenaline pushes me to find out more about him.

Why does he wear the same thing everyday though? Doesn't he have anything else? Not that I can see under that fancy cashmere coat of his. But he's so formal looking to me. Unlike his unexpected lash at me. I replay the scene in my mind and shudder, then banish the thought from coming up again.

What does his entire face look like? I've only seen his eyes. I'm so curious about everything. Maybe that's why I'm a detective. As a child, I wanted to know everything. I read mystery books like my life depended on it, and always questioned the actions people did in the news. The 5 W's could have been my inspiration in life. Who, what, where, when and why. How can be saved for later but that's important too. Who, what, where, when, and why. That's what I'm looking for in this case. And I'm determined to find it and successfully complete my mission right. Nothing can stop me because I'm a smart woman, I'll guarantee you that.