Renesme's Dream (aka Life with Renesme) Chapter 14

Chapter 14:

**Max's POV**

I ran for hours, following the freeways and interstates until I reached Forks. I asked a lady at the park where Bella and Edward Cullen lived, and they said they lived out in Maine.

Whoa, what?!

Then they continued on to say that Bella's father, Charlie, lived a few blocks away, and that the Cullens were visiting.

I followed the directions, and found the white house easily.

It was after dark, and the moon was bright tonight, making my skin shimmer slightly. I watched the people inside; a short, dark haired female was talking with a tall, rusty haired male. They were the only vampires in the room, it must be Edward and Bella. I decided to listen in.

"When will she be back?" The male said.

"In about 1 minute. Why are you so anxious?" said the female.

"I just have a bad feeling....like something is looming over the horizon, but I can't tell what it is...."

"She's pulling up now." The male ran for the door.

I saw a woman pull up to the curb and park her car. As she got out, she sensed I was near. I turn and ran, not waiting to be found out. That woman was obviously a vampire.

I ran to the outskirts of town, stopping when I inhaled a tempting odor....human blood. Ben had always told me humans tasted the best, way better than animals. But he never let me try anyone, claiming that it was to dangerous. If I couldn't kill them fast enough because I was just a kid (111 years old and I still qualify as a kid? Seriously?) and they screamed, it would call attention to us. Or if they somehow survived. In truth, I think he was saving all the humans for himself. We lived out in the woods, and we only got humans a couple times a year.

I stopped when I smelled the scent of warm, thick blood.....I followed it until I came to a house, where two little girls were playing in the front yard. Damn. I can't kill a child, let alone drink them.

I walked into the nearby woods, searching for a snack. About a mile into the woods, I saw a large tree house sitting in a tall oak. I jumped up and went inside.

Broken glass from beer bottles, foot wrappers, and empty soda cans were in the corners, and paintball marks and graffetti covered the walls...all except for one. That wall was filled with carvings and etches, all of hearts, initials, and names. How ironic to find a sweet sentimental symbol in the midst of such chaos.

I decided to stay here and make it my head quarters. I found a couple of old comic books, and sat down to read them.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Around 3 in the morning, I startled back to reality at a loud noise. I had been day dreaming about when my parents took me to the fair by the beach. The humans had stared openly at us, whispering and trying to point discreetly. I had ridden every ride, and been frustrated to find that none of them went fast enough for my liking.

I loud thump snapped me out of my memories. I got up and went to the window. Ben stood below me, throwing acorns at the tree house. I jumped down and landed next to him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him.

He sighed. "Listen Max, I know I'm a jerk to you. I was fine taking care of you until your parents died, then after that you were just a reminder of what I had lost. You remind me so much of James. We were friends for 80 years before they adopted you. We were created at the same time by the same man, we were brothers in a way."

"I...never knew that, Ben."

"I never told you. I probably should have. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner that they were dead, Max."

"How did you find me?"

He laughed. "I'm a tracker, just like your father, remember?"

"Oh, right....well, why did you follow me?"

"Because I want to help you. I want these Cullen people to pay for what they did to my brother. Have you found them yet?"

"Yeah."

"Did you kill them already?"

"No."

"What? Why not?"

"Because it would be to sudden, to quick. I want them to suffer, just like my mother did."

"Then how are you planning to do it?"

"They have family here-lots of it." I smiled and told him my plan.

Well, you obviously already know his plan, it was in her vision. But what do you guys think? What do you think about his perspective on all of this?