Chapter Nine - The Bite

Danny

I was in that odd place where you're awake, and yet, you're still sleep.

                I had to be. There was no other rational reason why I'd feel so...safe. Safer than I'd felt since Gran could hold me against her warm lap, her soothing voice filling my ears.

                And so, I concluded, I had to be dreaming. Either that, or I was awake and someone had put me on hallucenogens.

                There was a really easy way to find out which theory was correct. But I didn't want to open my eyes, or pinch myself: because what if I woke up?

                Eventually, though, curiousity took over. I slowly, surely peeled my eyes open.

                Images slammed into me.

                A smarmy, mocking grin.

                The sound of bones popping, clothes ripping.

                Cold snow and warm blood warring.

                Deep blue, nearly black eyes leaning over me.

                Pain and pleasure and--

                  My breath began to come out in short, hard gasps, something in it going cold just beforea body came into my view. One large hand slid beneath my body to help me sit up, another cupping my chin. I barely recognized the intense, comforting sparks that began to warm my body, because I was too busy hyperventilating.

                That hand on my chin gently but firmly tilted my chin up. My blurred vision focused on deep blue eyes and I blinked rapidly. "Kier--Kieran--"

                "Tibi sunt mea."

                 "Ut sunt mea."

                "Danny," Kieran--Kieran--said in a slow, authorative tone, looking me straight in the eyes. I dimly noticed that I was practically seated in his lap. "You are going to lead yourself into a panic attack if you do not calm down."

                He took me further into his arms until there was no 'practically' about me sitting in his lap, my back against his firm chest. Strong arms wrapped around my middle, enveloping me in soothing, searing warmth that made my body slack. I focused on the calm breaths behind me as he rubbed my arms soothingly. "That's it..."

                I licked my dry lips, swallowing convusively and trying to decide what questions to ask first. Scores of them were running through my head, but that wasn't the main problem.

                Actually, it was Kieran himself. The same feeling of safety from earlier came, along with that lovely warmth and tingles of sensation running up my arms where he touched me...

                "I'm in different clothes," I blurted. Instantly, heat shot through my body, warming my cheeks. Trust me to come up with the most unimportant and awkward fact to point out.

                As if he realized what he'd been doing, Kieran's hands stopped. While I expected him to do the typical straight-guy thing--jerk away, awkwardly laugh and scoot off away from me, or something equally humiliating or heart breaking--he only rested his hands lightly on my arms.