Chapter Thirteen - Breaking Tradition - Part Two

Danny

          I felt an odd sort of calm, when AJ finally opened the door. I put it down to a lifetime of expecting the unexpected: my parents died at a young age, so I had to move with my grandmother; my grandmother also died, and now I was living with my aunt. Of course, there were other things that I'd gone through that could have conditoned me, but it wasn't the time to think about that.

          It was simply like this: stressing out wouldn't help in our current situation. With a few, steady breaths, I was level and ready.

          Kieran's palm was hot and sweaty in mine, but I didn't mind. I squeezed, shy, and felt a flash of warmth through the bond. And then Kieran was stepping forward, into the room, and I had no choice but to follow.

          There were five adults in the room, two women, and three men, sitting around a large wooden table. I immediately picked out Kieran's parents from the group: they were seated side by side in the middle. Kieran's mother had his messy, coal black hair, but her eyes were bright, clear, and twinkling at me. I suddenly thought of Dumbeldore.

          Kieran's silent amusement was clear. That's a description I've never heard before, he though, teasing despite the edge of tension.

          I sent back a light prick of irritation and studied Kieran's father.

          The man was built solidly: large muscle seemed to bulge out of his button down white shirt, and he had sandy blond hair, cut into an almost severe crew cut. While his eyes were the same midnight blue as Kieran's, they lacked the free warmth. They bore into me steadily, and, as odd as it was, he seemed to radiate power.

          Kieran did too: it was something I'd noticed in between drowsy naps from earlier. Kieran's seemed wilder yet more friendly to me, like wind on your face or ocean waves licking at your feet. Now that I was taking notice, power was almost oppressive. The urge to show my neck and kneel was there, almost convincing, but it wasn't enough to actually make me do it. I wished that Kieran had a little more time to tell me what and what not to do.

          The other three occupants were looking as well. One was Ms. Theresa, the school counselor. I was surprised before I remembered Kieran introducing her as his aunt, his smile wide and fond. She'd been nice. That was reassuring.

          The second was a somewhat more hostile presence. The man was as built as Kieran's dad, but even more severe, if possible: he stared at Kieran and I with a dark, menacing look, his large arms folded across his chest. I let my eyes slide across him to the final man.

          Out of them all, he was the most interesting. He was African American, his darker than my aunt's, and his chocolate brown eyes were locked on his cellphone, where he appeared to be playing some sort of game. He was seated to the left of Kieran's dad, and the air around him, the way he slouched in his chair and tugged at a stray dreadlock, said that he couldn't care less about the proceedings. He had to be in his late twenties.

          There was something about him, though, that said he had some power too.

          "Father," Kieran said, and I started, looking at him. His voice was so...black. There was none of the playful teasing, none of the Kieran that I knew. His back was stiff and his mouth was still. Only a slight, reassuring wave through the bond made me relax a little.

          "Son," Kieran's dad said formally. His large hands were folded on top of the table. They did not move as he inclined his head a little. "AJ, you may shut the door. Boys, take a seat."