Chapter Seventeen - Everything Has Changed

Danny 

I gaped down at my unconscious boyfriend, utterly disbelieving at what had just happened. I'd had a hunch, of course, but I hadn't meant to test it out so quickly without even discussing it. Pure instinct had taken over and before I knew it I'd--done that. 

          I licked over the copper taste on my teeth, cheeks burning. This was Kieran's blood. I'd bitten Kieran. And from the way that he'd arched gorgeously, mouth wet and open, hips rolling and the noises that he'd made--he'd completely destroyed my comforter with his claws--

          I didn't have any more time to think about it though, because my aunt burst into the room. 

          My heart, which had been racing, stopped dead in my chest. 

          Naomi took in the way I was sitting (crouched over Kieran with my arms on either side of his head), the blood dripping from the bite Kieran's neck, the way the sheets were ripped up, and of course, the wolf ears that were twitching on Kieran's head. 

          For a few, stunningly awkward moments, we stared at each other. Naomi opened her mouth, then closed it. Her eyes shut and her hand went from it's tight grip on the doorknob to the bridge of her nose. I slid off of Kieran's body, realizing I was still hovering over it, but didn't go far. Something told me that would be a bad idea.

          "Please tell me that you have a logical explanation for this." she said, eyes still closed. She sounded shell shocked, and not a little tired. I felt guilty for bringing this down on her. After Gran died, I'd been practically forced onto Naomi. I'd tried not to disrupt her normal life too much, to be a help instead of a hinderance. But now there was this.  

          Words, as they tended to do, got stuck in my throat. But Kieran wasn't going to speak up for me. I needed to use my words. I inhaled shakily, then replied, "I have an explanation. But it's not going to be logical." 

          She nodded once, finally revealing her dark brown eyes. "Do you want me to check over him for you?" she nodded to Kieran, in doctor mode. 

          I hesitated. Kieran's emotions didn't feel as if he was hurt. Just...floaty, and slightly distant, even more so than when he was asleep. I could treat the bite myself. Plus, there was always a risk of the skin contact hurting him because he didn't know Naomi well...

          "I think I've got it." I said finally. "But...would you mind bringing me the first aid kit?" This had to be one of the most humiliating moments of my life. 

          Naomi's professional demeanor helped, but only slightly. She nodded again and walked out of the doorway. I didn't move until she got back, walking closer and closer to the bed. Her eyes kept on drifting to the ears on Kieran's head, which were twitching like a dreaming puppy's. Other than that (and the vicious looking bite mark), he looked like a normal teenage boy, mouth slightly open as he breathed, dark eyelashes fanning across his cheeks.

          "Disinfect with an alcohol swipe, put some antibiotic ointment on the bite, and bandage it," she told me. "It won't need stitches." 

          "Thanks, Aunt Naomi." I mumbled. Naomi only sighed and left, shutting the door behind her. 

          I could only imagine what she was thinking. But I couldn't focus on that right now. 

          I left the first aid kit at the foot of the bed as I crawled up alongside Kieran. His eyelashes fluttered slightly when I leaned in and kissed each of his eyelids. I noticed a little spark that signaled that Kieran was waking up and latched on, coaxing it into something more. I was rewarded when his eyes slowly opened, blinking at me.