Chapter Eight - Complications

Kieran

It was the hardest thing that I’ve ever done, undressing Danny while he was sleeping and then dressing him again without so much as a glance.

            He was covered in blood, though, so it had to be done. My mother, as close to me as she was, couldn’t do it. The very idea of my mate being in a state of undress in someone else’s made my canines extend slightly and red seep into my eyes.

            So my mother ordered me into my bedroom, giving me a warning glance, and told me that we wouldn’t be disturbed and to find her when he woke. She shut the door behind her softly.

            He was still sleeping, pale and soft in my bedroom. I dressed him in a pair of my pajama pants and rolled them up at the cuffs, along with a soft cotton shirt. The blood was washed out of his hair and skin with a rag and some warm water. I was pleased to see that he didn’t have any cuts or markings, with the exception of the teeth marks just above his collar bone.

            While the human part of me cringed, wondering if it hurt, the wolf side of me growled smugly. To all of the other wolves (not to mention people) it’d be a huge Back The Hell Off.

            I brushed against it and smiled at the shiver that ran down his spine.

            When I was finished wiping all of the blood off of him and making sure there were no internal injuries, I tucked him underneath the sheets. He looked peaceful, while he was sleeping. A little too peaceful.

            Though I could hear his heart beating, the small inhale and exhale of his breath, I was still worried. I sat down on the edge of the bed and pressed my hand to his stomach.

            And there it was. The sign that I’d done my duty, that he was still here, breathing.

            Unable to help it, I softly traced the pale skin of his arms, his cheeks, his face. The sloped eyebrows and pale eyelashes and brows. I didn’t understand how someone could be so white. Danny practically glowed.

            Assured that he was safe, I turned to watch the doors and windows and strained my hearing. I was too awake to crawl in bed next to him, even if his sleepy presence was in the back of my mind. My heart was beating fast and hard—adrenaline from killing, I suppose. I wanted to go out and find more rogues, rip their throats out.

            I think that’s when it finally kicked in.

            I was mated to a human. A fragile, breakable human. I didn’t even sweat when I carried him miles to my house—how easy would it be for one of the rogues to just crush his windpipe? Break a bone with a squeeze of their hand? I didn’t know how bad the damage was before the claiming, but if Darius hadn’t been playing with him before…

            I swallowed hard at the thought, trying to calm down. It wouldn’t do to try to go on a one-man killing spree. It’d solve all of our problems, because I’m pretty sure I could take on Godzilla right now, but my mother would kill me.

Problem number two:

            Danny was a guy. It wasn’t a problem, per say--from the way that I struggling not to jump into the bed and lick every inch of that delectable skin, it was definitely not a problem.

            But as far as I knew, there weren’t gay werewolves. The entire purpose of mating was finding people compatible to you, making sure that you didn’t split up before you could create more. Pass on the gene.