Chapter Twenty-Two - Make You Feel My Love

Danny

        We pulled into the apartment complex as the sun was setting. The sky was streaked pink and blue and gold, a riot of colors that would soon be overtaken by darkness. The windows were cracked, letting the fresh smell of sea and sun into the car. Resa and Katherine were sitting in the front. I sat in the back, a jacket on over Kieran's long sleeved shirt and jeans.

        We'd only stopped for gas and food on the journey. For the most part, it had been a quiet one. I wasn't much for talking, Katherine was subdued and Resa had spent a lot of it on her phone. I didn't mind. The bond had captured my attention. With every mile that we crossed, it became less and less strained. A strange, humming pain that I hadn't noticed until it started to ease.

        That was when I felt it: determination, fear, It'll be better this way-- The image of a gun in Kieran's hand, pointed to his head--

        "No!" I snapped in the nearly silent car, panic in my throat. Resa, who had been driving, swerved a little on the highway but I paid her no mind. As hard as I could, I tried to reach him: Absolutely not. No. You cannot do that, I won't let you. 

        There was confusion, then a mangled mess of happiness and sorrow. I waited, tense, for some sign that Kieran had actually done it. But there was no explosion of pain in my head, no sudden loss of the bond. After a few minutes, I started to relax. He hadn't done it. 

        When we passed the Georgia-Florida border I picked up a book and tried to concentrate on actually reading the words on the page. My hands shook like legs on a tightrope. 

        "What was that?" Resa asked. 

        "Nothing," I said. I don't know why I lied. She didn't ask again.

        We crossed the border and about two hours later, pulled up to an apartment complex. After the guard let us through the gate, Katherine drove us up to the biggest building. As soon as she cut the car off I was climbing out of the car, paying no heed to the bulky men who came up to greet Katherine. I walked past them--or tried. One held out a huge hand, not touching but close enough to make my hair stand on end. "Wait right there, son." 

        I set my jaw, glaring at him. "Let me pass." I felt like a part of me was trying to claw its way out of my skin to get to Danny. The bond hummed anxiously, the danger from before throwing itself at the forefront of my mind. 

        "The alpha wants to speak with you--" 

        Just as I was about to do something regrettable, Katherine stepped forward. "Let him go, Horace. His mate is inside." 

        "But he's human." Suddenly, understanding dawned. He looked at me with new eyes, a strange expression on his face before he rolled his shoulders. "Fine, but you're dealing with her." 

        "As always," came Resa's dry voice. But I was already walking forward, going through the front door and following the pull in my chest. Everything else faded away but that one goal: find Kieran find Kieran find Kieran. There were hallways and stairs, twists and turns. I could feel him in my head, tense and sad and ecstatic and scared, so scared that it made a knot rise in my throat. 

        I'm coming. 

        And then there was a door, and everything that I had struggled with on the drive here came back. I stopped, my chest heaving as I stared at it.

        Kieran was behind there. I should go. But what then? What if something happened? What if he wasn't himself anymore? In fact, why hadn't he come out to meet me when I was here? What if he'd left because he didn't want me anymore?