Chapter Eleven - Shifterism

I changed a little detail: Earlier in the book, I said that touch would burn. I edited that I made touch from other people feel like ice, getting steadily more painful--you'll see later. More notes at the end.

***

Danny 

When I woke up again, it was to gentle nudging on my shoulder. I knew before I even turned that it was Kieran. 

          "Your aunt," he whispered, handing me the phone. I jolted with surprise, then fumbled with it a bit to get it to my ear.

          "Hello?" I asked, trying to get the sleepiness out of my voice. 

          From her concerned  tone, I could tell that I wasn't successful. "Hi, Danny. I heard about the car. Are you okay?" 

          She'd heard that a rouge shifter had tried to kill me? I looked at Kieran, my eyes widened, and he shook his head. Meanwhile, my aunt continued, "It was nice of your friend to help you. A tow came to get the car?"

          I relaxed. "Yes. I'm fine. I'm really sorry about the car." I really was. She was so nice about me borrowing it.

          She hummed, and I could picture her waving a hand. "It's fine. The thing needed repairs  sometime anyway. Will you be coming home for dinner? I'm taking the late shift, so if you want to stay the night over there rather than go home to an empty house, then that would be fine. You'll have to ask permission of course."

          From the sheer delight that was coming from Kieran through our bond, I could tell that I did. "I've been told that it would be fine." 

           "Good. I'm going to get back to my shift now, so be safe, okay?"

           "Yes ma'am." 

          "Alright. Good night, Danny." 

          "Night."

          She hung up the phone. I did the same, pressing the red button and handing the sleek phone back to Kieran. Apparently, being shifters didn't keep them from being up-to-date on all of the current fads. 

          He took it with a smile that was controlled, though there was no point for it. I could feel the waves of happiness coming from him. Even though the idea of someone being that happy to have my company made me blush, I still managed to raise an eyebrow.

          He nudged me with his knuckle, gentle. "Shut up. I can't help it." 

          It was an innocent comment, really, but it occurred to me that maybe it was true. Too true. Maybe Kieran couldn't help the way that he felt about me because of some weird, shifter magic. He'd said it himself, this partnership was different. What if this wasn't real?

          "Hey," Kieran said, his brow furrowing. "That face. I don't like that face, Danny, what's wrong?" 

          Without conscious thought, I began filtering some of my thoughts over to him. I watched each emotion pass over his face before he finally settled on disgruntlement. "That's ridiculous."

          I bristled. "Excuse me?"

          "Sorry, sorry, I just--" he looked like he was trying to suppress an incredulous smile."It doesn't work that way. We're sort ruled by our instincts sometimes, but who we pick--who we want isn't all wolf. It's just like human courting."