Chapter Sixteen - Balance

Kieran 

"So what are we going to do about your aunt?" I asked, looking over the book that Danny had tossed me to read. It was interesting, actually. I hadn't had the time to stop by the library recently, not with the pack business and training to be an alpha. Dad had apparently put that aside in favor of me and Danny's problem. Even though the situation was fraught with tension, I couldn't help but be slightly grateful for the break. 

             I was distracted from the book, though. Danny was just so...Danny. He had long fingers and pale skin and every movement was like poetry. He looked slender, but I knew for a fact that he had broad shoulders under those sweaters that he loved. His legs went on for miles and I just wanted to...I just wanted to...

             Behave. I had to behave. This was serious. This morning had been good enough to sustain me for at least another hour. 

             I could do this.

             "You mean the fact that we can't seperate?" Danny asked. "And the shifting, too. Do we tell her about the shifting?" 

             "Well," I said, brow furrowed in thought. "There's not exactly a precident for our situation, but I've heard of some humans being told. And frankly, I'm not sure if we'll be able to explain me sticking to your side like glue." 

             "That's what I thought," Danny nodded. When he was researching thought process was fleeting, like a small fish. I couldn't pick out the individual pieces, but I knew he was looking up wolves as well as other things. 

             "So...how do you want to tell her?" It was his aunt. Whether the wolf liked it or not, she intimidated the hell out of my human side. I had a thousand questions about why their skin colors were different, about Naomi's mother, about Danny, but that would come in time. 

             "I--She--" Danny began, then stopped. His lips pressed together, as if he was struggling to get the words straight. 

             Tell me like this, I suggested gently. 

             Danny took a deep breath. I can tell she's still...processing the news of our relationship. I didn't tell her that I was gay before I brought you here. 

             "And you think the wolf thing might freak her out." I said aloud.

             Danny shook his hair, his longish, white blond hair rustling slightly. It was loose, tucked behind his pierced ears. "Not freak her out. She's a doctor: they're the epitome of calm. But I still want to give her time." 

             "Maybe tomorrow?" I suggested. "If she'll let me spend the night, that is." I added. If she didn't, that was going to cause some problems. They wouldn't be able to avoid telling her, then. 

             Danny shook his head. Your Council is coming in three days. We have deadline, Kieran. If we're going to figure out the family segment of what we need, we have to include her.

             "Point." Family meant the pack and Danny's people. "So how do we do this? Say 'Can you pass the peas and by the way Kieran's a shifter'?" he could totally picture the look on Naomi's face. 

             "Of course not." Danny snorted. "We break it to her delicately." And of course you'd have to prove it somehow.

             "Fangs and claws?" I asked brightly, prepared to pop them out.