Chaper Seven - Claiming Part Two

Ḳieran

The moment that Danny fell asleep, the wolf went back to its dormant state. I felt control slowly come back into my limbs, my canines and fingernails receding. Now that I wasn’t completely blind with rage, I realized that it actually hurt.

                Danny curled into me in his sleep. I could feel the completely relaxed state that he was in: he was so tired that it was making me drowsy. I pressed a finger to his temple, smiling softly when all I saw was darkness.

                Yep. He was out.

                I traced a heart on his pale skin, enjoying the soft tingles that I got in response. They’d be stronger when he was awake, I knew. I didn’t know how I did, but I knew.

                A throat cleared.

                The smile froze on my face. I stopped tracing, mid-heart. I couldn’t move even if a semi were coming my way.

                I slowly looked up at my dad, away from Danny, as much as it pained my wolf, to see his reaction. I could imagine a million different scenarios—disgust, his kicking me out of the pack, disowning me, my friends and family hating me, him sending me away—

                My blood froze like ice in my veins.

                He couldn’t send me away from Danny. He just couldn’t. I could already feel the panic rising, making my breaths come in little gasps and made me want to claw at my chest. A steady mantra of nonono ran through my head and I pulled my mate closer.

                Because damn it, Danny was mine. I’d get over my own confusion soon enough: my wolf wouldn’t have chosen him if it wasn’t supposed to happen. And if my dad, or anyone else in the world tried to separate us…

                I’d rip their throat out, I realized, with a startling clarity. I didn’t have any qualms about killing that rogue before—and though I’d mourn my dad or anyone else close to me that should to try to come in between me and my mate, all that really mattered was him.

                I looked at his mouth first. It was pressed into a smooth, unreadable line. His nose wasn’t scrunched up, like AJ said that mine was when I was irritated. A good sign. His eyes were unreadable as well, but I detected just a hint of wonder and shock in them.

                Altogether, his expression was stone.

                Stone was good. Stone wouldn’t get him killed, like rage or disgust.

                His comrades weren’t as unreadable.

                Hunter’s step-father, a warrior in the pack, stepped forward, his mouth open to say something that make me want to get up and kill him, no doubt. Before he could, though, my dad put a restraining hand on his arm.

                Even though he hadn’t said anything, the order was sharp and extremely clear:

Quiet.

            Jackson stepped back, but he didn’t look too happy about it. I made a mental note of that, shoving down the rush of affection that came with the order. I wasn’t in the clear with him yet.

                My father and I stared at each other for a few moments before he barely nodded. “Come.” The voice was as emotionless as the face, but there was something underneath all of it—something that worried me and interested me at the same time.” Your mom is worried sick.”

                If they were taking us to my mom, we’d be fine. She was as fierce as any mother wolf in the pack, if not fiercer, and would protect me and mine. I could, without a single doubt, trust her.

                Danny was barely a weight in my arms—I felt stronger, lighter, somehow, in the time that I’d run to Danny and bitten him. He fit easily in my arms, holding his hands against his chest while his head rested against me. The soft, content sparks that came off of him and sent butterflies in my stomach were a bit distracting. Instead of shoving them away, though, I let them calm me down. I wouldn’t be able to help us if I lost my head the minute someone said something that insulted him.

                We left Danny's car on the side of the road, though my dad had another one of the men that had come with him push it off to the side. I vowed to come and get it later.

                I followed them into the woods. They hadn’t brought a car, but shifted and ran. AJ must have called them when I shifted in the car. I wondered, briefly, where she was now. Probably chewing at the bit to be here, I thought.

                Another person to add to my list of trusted people.

                I thought hard as we crunched through the trees and snow, mentally making a list. There could be no maybes or questions of loyalty: I had to absolutely know that they would stand by me and my mate. Betrayal was not an option.

                We walked for a few miles, and I knew that they were only shifting into human form for my benefit. They were right to: anything else would have been viewed as a challenge. Shifting into your animal form was a defense mechanism, as well as a release. By staying in their lessers, I could relax a bit.

                Still, I was on high alert when we finally broke through the trees, looking all around to sense any potential threats. Danny was still sound asleep, curled up in my arms and warm. He hadn't shivered once, probably due to the fact that my temperature was sky high.

                I hadn't even noticed that I wasn't tired at all.

                My mom was the first to greet us. She looked a lot like my sister and I actually; same wild black hair, though my eyes were my father's. Hers were lighter and clear blue, like shards of glass when you defied her. She stood proudly at the full height of five foot one, and the moment that she set eyes on Danny, she visibly softened and stiffened at the same time.

                She looked up at my father, tracing his expression with her eyes, before looking at me seriously. She hesitated, then came forward and lightly touched me on the cheek.

                For the first few days, the touch of people other than my mate would feel like iceburn. My mother, though, was directly blood; her touch was tolerable, if not a bit uncomfortable.

                Danny's touch was like a warm mug of hot chocolate in your hand on a cold night. Warmth that curled in your stomach, covered you like a blanket.

                I was obsessed. But I wasn't really worried. How could I be when every fibre of my being was humming with contentment?

                "Yours?" My mom asked quietly, after a few moments.

               No questions. No shifty demands. Simply: "Yours?" 

                I loved my mother.

                I nodded once. "Mine."

               She looked down at him again, this time with a soft, motherly smile curving her lips. "He is beautiful," she declared, "And he is worthy."

               And with that statement, she had virtually sealed Danny's acceptance in the pack. My mother had never been mistaken. 

                I really, really loved my mom.

*

Sorry about the late upload! I am just OVER THE MOON with all of your lovely comments and votes and messages, I wanted this chapter to be perfect. If you are still confused, don't worry: That will come. Trust in me...

Don't forget to Vote, Comment, Add to your Personal Library!