Chapter Fourteen - Strengthening Claims

Danny

Balance, security and family. 

          The alpha's words followed me out of the meeting room. After another thirty minutes where Kieran's father asked questions, Kieran grew furious as a result, and Katherine quieted the room down with a look, I was already mentally exhausted. 

          Logically I'd slept way too long to be sleepy. I looked at Kieran in question. 

          "It might be the bond," he said, explaining without further prompting. AJ looked over her shoulder at us, then turned back when it was apparent that we were talking to each other. "Got to get used to that" I heard her mutter. Still, I paid attention to Kieran. "I'm not sure. But you're human, and even a regular bonding can be stressful on shifters. It just depends on the person." he shrugged. "I know someone who slept for a week after a session. He was a squirrel, actually." The boy--no, man chuckled, low and deep. "His mate wasn't happy." 

          If they had the whole "boundary" thing going on, I could see why. I bit my lip at the image of trying to drag an unconcious Kieran to and from the bathroom every time I had to go. 

          Despite the remaning tension in his shoulders from the meeting, Kieran laughed aloud. I colored, embarrassed, as AJ turned her head once again. 

          "I promise I won't let that happen, Danny." he told me. The syllables curved around his mouth differently from English words: he was speaking in Latin, again. This would never stop being strange. 

          'I hope not.' I sent to him.

          His brow went down slightly in concentration as he answered, abruptly chaging the subject. 'I never want to hurt you.' 

           'And you won't.' 

          'Danny--' '

          'You won't,' I repeated.  'That's not who you are. We'll figure something out before the council comes.'

          'That's three days.'  A sense of hopelessness, unchracteristic of Kieran, began to seep through the bond. 'Three days to figure out what to do to keep myself from becoming a mass murderer.'

          'Then we'll work every single hour of those three days.'

*

Sunday morning dawned bright and warm. I stuck an experimental toe out from under the sheets and drew it back in. The room was freezing compared to the heat being generated under the sheets.

          I very, very carefully turned over, barely rustling the sheets in the process.

          Kieran and I were pressed from chest to hip, barely an inch of space between us. As I shifted the wolf sleepily complained, his lips in a pout. I smiled the tiniest of smiles, lifting a hand to brush over the boy's chaotic mass of dark hair. It was soft to the touch, much softer than was actually reasonable.

          I could sense Kieran even as I timidly let his hand drag through the hair: he wasn't dreaming, really, just feeling softcontentwarmsleephappy that was nice enough to make my stomach curl with pleasure.

          I'd lost a lot in life. In fact by now, I was used to losing things. But for the first time in a very long time, I didn't want to just roll over and let fate do as she pleased. No: I wanted to stand up and fight. Fight for this with everything that I had.