Chapter Five - Saving Him

Ḳieran

“Who runs the world? Girls! Who runs the world? Girls! Who runs the world—“

                “BOYS!” I shouted over my sister and her friends, Talia and Shana. AJ, the traitor, was in the passenger seat singing right along with them while I drove.

                We were coming back from a birthday party, and though I’d gotten my car back and my restrictions taken off, I was still being watched. The girl had moved out of town a few weeks ago, though, so it was nearly an hour drive to get there. My mom looped me into being the driver for my sister and her friends.

                I’d been trying to keep my temper in check, honestly, but a guy can only listen to so much Ke$ha and Beyoncé before he completely loses it. “BOYS run the world, and that’s why I can do this!” I flipped the radio to My Chemical Romance, ignoring the loud protests, and began singing obnoxiously like they’d been before.

                “Sing it for the boys! Sing it for the girls! Every time that you lose it sing it for the—“

                “Hey, look! It’s snowing!”

                Sure enough, little white flakes were landing on my windshield. I grinned to myself at the prospect of throwing frozen balls of ice at people.

                They all chattered excitedly about the snow. I turned my music down to a low level and concentrated on the road.

                And then, after about fifteen minutes: “Kieran?”

                “Yes, Shana?” The girl was quiet when she talked to me, a lot like a guy that I was really trying not to think about right now.

                It was hard. I’d already declared him a project, and, just my luck, I’d picked him for Secret Santa. I’d immediately known what to get him, and that bothered me a little.

                My aunt was joking when she asked if I liked him. She had to be. She just had to. Wolves didn’t really…swing that way. In fact, I’d never even heard of it. There was no reason to ask, either.

                Because I didn’t like Danny. At all. I even went out of my way to avoid him, just to prove that I could.

                It was stupid, I knew, and just a bit cowardly, but damn if I was going to find out something different from what I thought I knew about myself all these years.

                “…have to pee.”

                I blinked. “Huh?”

                “She has to pee.” My sister, of course, spoke up in a tone that indicated that I was an idiot for asking again. “Stop by a restaurant or something, yeah?”

                I glared at her through the rearview mirror. “I could dump you on the side of the road.”

                “I’d honestly like to see you try.”

                “Guys.“ AJ cut me off before I could blow up at her. She turned to look at Shana. “Do you think you could hold it until we got home? We’re kind of in the middle of nowhere. Unless you want to shift?”

                I could practically hear the cringes. Doing your business in other form was something absolutely horrifying to thirteen year old girls. I say if you gotta go, then go. Obviously, AJ agreed with the sentiment.