Chapter 23

He thought about the tattoo - "Suppress the heart of evil. Spread the virtue of the kind." Was it a warning to him to stop his evil ways? He suddenly felt very afraid again and called for his two bodyguards to keep watch outside his door day and night. But only one showed up; the one called the Puppet Master was gone.

"...and a source from inside the Ministry who wishes to remain anonymous says that the Ministry of Health and Welfare is considering awarding Dr. Ouyang the "Excellent Doctor of the Year," Zhao Yunlan read from the magazine article. "Little Guo, good article! Now even if Dr. Ouyang does manage to find proof about us, he can't do anything."

"But how can a monster like him commit murder, yet be celebrated so?" Wang Zheng looked troubled. "Are the two of you okay with this?" she asked Zhao Yunlan and his father.

"I am. It was my brilliant plan after all!" Zhao Yunlan looked pleased with himself.

"This was the best thing we can do to him. If he wants to stay alive, he will stop his illegal activities and cut his ties with the powerful, since he cannot do them any more favors if he wants to keep the rest of his organs." Zhao Xin Chin nodded. He put his hand on Zhao Yunlan's shoulder. "Good job, my son."

Zhao Yunlan's eyes became hot and wet, and before he knew it, he had pulled his father into a rough embrace. Zhao Xin Chin looked surprised for a second, then returned it with a tight hug. Everyone in the room softly clapped and said, "Congratulations. Your revenge is complete."

Shen Wei stood off to the side, watching Father and Son with a smile

Shen Wei stood off to the side, watching Father and Son with a smile. Yes, this is how it should have been all this time. He could never return the lost time to them, but now they can begin a new chapter in each others' lives. He turned to quietly leave, but two firm hands on his shoulders pulled him back into the crowd.

"And where do you think YOU'RE going?" Zhao Yunlan asked, with a grin.

"Shen Wei, this was as much for your brother as it was for my wife. YOUR revenge is complete, too," Zhao Xin Chin added, his eyes warm.

"No, I do not deserve this. If my brother had not picked up the pole in the first place - " Shen Wei began.

" - then Dr. Ouyang would have hired someone else, who probably would have killed my mother immediately." Zhao Yunlan finished the sentence. "Your brother stopped. He was not an evil person; he just made bad choices."

"So stop beating yourself up over this. It's time for YOU to finally live as well." Zhao Xin Chin added.

Shen Wei eyes filled with tears and could not speak. Everyone also crowded around him, voicing their support, gripping his arms, hugging him. He was overwhelmed by the warmth and comraderie. When he finally could speak, he could only say, "thank you...I do not deserve this...thank you..."

"