Chapter 9

It was good to see Zhao Yunlan truly laughing. It had been too long, Shen Wei thought to himself.

The SID was on break for a week to rejoice, refresh and rejuvenate after Da Qing's revenge. However, that break in actuality lasted for only a day, and the day after, everyone was back at work, doing research on their own targets. Although they needed guidance, Zhao Yunlan was impressed with everyone's dedication.

Because Lin Jing had been so valuable in Da Qing's revenge, everyone agreed that his mission would be next. His target, Ding Dun the owner of the club where his fiancee had died had since rebuilt the nightclub and also ran a very busy event hall and was enjoying a very comfortable lifestyle. Da Qing and some of the other members went to the nightclub one night to test the fire sprinkler systems in the restrooms - no response, as usual. Old Chu managed to sneak out one of the fire extinguishers, and as expected, the inspection had long expired and did not properly dispense its contents. Despite what had happened with his other nightclub, he still had not learned and was still putting money over safety.

Zhao Yunlan had a friend from the fire department join him for some drinks at the nightclub. The entertainment that night was a young girl playing a violin, and she alternated between classical and modern pieces. There were bouncers outside, giving out coupons for free appetizers and drinks, so the place was packed, even though no one was really listening to the music. It was a shame, she was really quite good, Zhao Yunlan thought.

"What's the capacity of this place anyway?  There are way too many people in here," his friend started to say

"What's the capacity of this place anyway? There are way too many people in here," his friend started to say.

"Maybe you could call over a couple friends?" Zhao Yunlan slyly smiled.

"Maybe. Is it always like this?"

"That's what I hear. This place is very popular," Zhao Yunlan put on his innocent face.

"Yeah, I think I'd better, you sneaky bastard." His friend knew that look.

"Hey, anything for the safety of the people, right?"

Zhao Yunlan watched as his friend spoke to someone, and then nodded slightly to someone standing in the shadows. Minutes later there was a lot of smoke and people started to panic, running for the exits, but because there were too many people, they could not evacuate properly, and everyone was tripping and being trampled on. No alarms or sprinklers went on, and it was mass panic. Finally sirens were heard outside and firemen came in and effectively led people out.

Although they could not find the source of the smoke, they quickly determined there was no fire, and Ding Dun the owner was cited for several violations, including not properly installing the sprinklers, expired fire extinguishers, and exceeding the maximum capacity of the property. He could not reopen his nightclub until the huge fines had been paid and corrections made.

Part One of Lin Jing's revenge was complete. It was almost too easy, thanks to Zhao Yunlan, but Ding Dun would now be on alert. They would have to be less obvious.