36 ✿ The Divide

As soon as Moira saw Jemma she ran over to give her the biggest hug.

"We did it!" she whispered in her ear.

"What?" asked Jemma, surprised and delighted. "So when did this happen and how?"

"I'm sure you don't want all the gory details," joked Moira before proceeding to tell her friend the entire story.

Then, after she'd finished, she gave Jemma the most annoyingly smug smile she could.

"Your turn!" she sang cheerfully.

Jemma rolled her eyes. "Soon, okay?"

"Yes!" cried Moira.

Suddenly Teresa, Thomas, Newt and Minho's faces from the other side of the room caught Jemma's attention. Minho was telling the other three something with a solemn expression.

"What are they talking about?" Moira asked.

"No idea," replied Jemma before the two walked towards the group.

"What's going on?" Jemma demanded an answer.

"You don't know?" Minho questioned.

Jemma paused in confusion. "No, what is it?"

Minho took a deep breath before revealing the information.

"It was announced after you two left on your own," he began, looking to Newt and Moira.

"All of us subjects got told what-what happened."

Then he stopped.

Jemma hadn't seen Minho so sad and unsarcastic. Something was deeply wrong. Everyone sensed it.

Newt took Moira's hand in his. Then he put the other on Minho's shoulder.

"Minho, it's alright, tell us," he said softly.

Minho looked up with sorrowful eyes.

"The testing," he struggled to get the words out. "Three more of us have died."

Silence enveloped the room.

Then Minho's anger surfaced. "All because of their pathetic experiments, as if anything can stop this stupid virus!" he yelled.

Silence followed yet again. No one knew what to say.

Except Teresa. She always had some W.I.C.K.E.D. rhetoric up her sleeve.

"We can stop the virus," she declared to the soundless group. "When we do, their deaths will not have been in vain. When we find a cure their sacrifice will have been worth it."

Minho met her eyes with a furious glare.

"Sacrifice?" he hissed. "WORTH it?"

Newt steadied his friend with the hand on his shoulder. "Minho-"

"No Newt!" he roared.

Then he turned his anger back to Teresa.

"Who do you think you are?! You think you get to decide if sacrifices are worth curing an unstoppable virus?!" he yelled.

Teresa's eyes flickered from Minho's face to the others. Newt was trying to calm Minho. Moira was glaring at her with disgust. Jemma and Thomas had worry and guilt painting their faces.

"Are we even human to you Teresa?" Minho asked darkly, his voice laced with bitterness.

"He's right," Moira added, narrowing her eyes at Teresa. "You're willing to kill to save others. Tell my why you think some lives are more important than others?"