33 ✿ Next to Normal

Eventually Moira and Newt returned with Teresa, opening the locked door. Teresa looked completely disappointed. Moira pulled Jemma aside before she and Newt left again.

"So, we gave you two plenty of time. Did you make your confession?" she asked.

Realisation dawned on Jemma. This had all been a ploy to get her to make up with Thomas - the oldest one in the book actually. Strangely enough though...it had worked.

"We made up," Jemma answered vaguely, hoping that was enough to satisfy her friend.

Moira beamed with pride. "I knew you could do it," she said with a wink.

Then Jemma felt guilty...

"I'll give you the full details tonight, I promise," she told Moira.

"Yay!" cried Moira, all excited to hear about it. 

"I guess if Newt and I are Mewt, then you can be..." 

Moira stopped to think for a while. 

"Jomas!" she decided eventually.

Jemma smiled at the thought, holding in the urge to admit that no romance had blossomed between them, before saying goodbye.

...

After Jemma and Thomas had made up everything went back to normal.

The next morning when Jemma walked into the lab to see Teresa and Thomas talking she didn't feel the same sting of exclusion she'd been experiencing while Thomas ignored her.

For the first time in a while she felt happy, not bitter or jealous. She even felt confident enough to greet the two friends as she sat down at her work station.

"Hey!"

To Jemma's surprise, Thomas spun around in his chair to smile at her, just like he used to do.

"Hey, Thomas, I'm almost finished my story!" cried Teresa, annoyed that she'd lost Thomas' attention. Then she turned to Jemma, irritated that her mended friendship was interfering with her and Thomas.

"You guys made up?" she asked, a little too interested.

"Yeah, just a miscommunication, ya know?" Thomas confirmed before grabbing an elastic band and firing it at Jemma.

Jemma squealed in shock as the band smacked her cheek. She was almost angry, but at least Thomas was himself again. Instead she gave him a teasing glare.

Thomas tried his best to stifle a laugh.

"As much as I am annoyed at you right now, I'm glad you're back to your annoying ways," she said with a smile.

"You like him annoying you?" questioned Teresa.

Thomas' grin grew wide. 

"Oh yes, Teresa, haven't you heard? Jemma loves me pissing her off!" he teased, breaking into hearty laughter.

Jemma rolled her eyes with a smirk plastering her face.

Teresa raised an eyebrow, not understanding the reference to last night's events.

"Well I'm happy for you Tom," she said with a half-smile. 

"Hated to see you two fight," she added.

"Aw, thanks Teresa!" said Thomas with a beaming smile.

Just as Jemma turned back to her work, Dr. Paige approached the group of workers.