14 ✿ Split Apart

Jemma knew there had to be others. She remembered being split up from them when they all first arrived here.

She remembered that day:

"Jemma, what do you think they want with us?"

"I have no idea, but it doesn't feel good."

"No matter what we'll still have each other though." Thomas pulled her into a side hug as they followed Dr. Paige.

Jemma wrapped her arms around him and looked up, smiling. "I hope so."

"I don't need hope, I need luck and you're my lucky charm, my lucky Jem." Thomas threw his head back in laughter at his own pun. "As long as I have you around I know we'll be fine."

Jemma rolled her eyes. "You're being cringy Thomas."

"I'm serious, Jem."

Jemma shook her head, laughing."Whatever you say, clumsy."

She still remembered the faces she saw when she was taken by W.I.C.K.E.D. Dr. Paige sometimes mentioned the "test subjects". Often, during her experiment classes, she sat thinking about them and whether she might actually get to meet them, see them again...

"You alright?" asked Thomas, interrupting her thoughts as they walked out of their late-evening experimental methods class.

"Yeah, why?"

Thomas raised an eyebrow. "I was throwing paper at you during that whole lesson. You were so spaced out you didn't even notice."

Jemma laughed. "Probably because I've gotten so used to you annoying me. And I wasn't "spaced out". She made quote marks with her fingers. "I was concentrating, you know, the thing you seem unable to do, at all."

Thomas pulled a face of affected offence. "Wow, harsh."

"Hey guys!" shouted a voice from down the hall.

Jemma and Thomas turned to see Teresa running up to greet them. She gave Jemma a smile and a wave before hugging Thomas.

Jemma couldn't help but feel a twinge of irritation at their embrace, though she wasn't quite sure why.

"So what were you two up to?" asked Teresa, letting go of Thomas. "It's practically lights-out curfew."

"Oh you know, just the usual, not concentrating." Thomas said with a sarcastic tone, directed at Jemma.

Jemma smirked. "Yeah, not-concentrating-class finished late today."

"Am I missing something here?" asked Teresa, feeling left out of the joke.

"Nope," replied Thomas. "But I'm missing notes!" he shouted, grabbing Jemma's class notes from her hands and waving them in front of her.

"Stop it Thomas! You're such an annoying being." Jemma reached out to grab the notes but Thomas teasingly whipped it out of reach.

"Oh, but you love me really."

She rolled her eyes. "Nothing much to love," she said jokingly.

Thomas faked a shocked expression. "How could you say that?"

Teresa laughed. "Don't worry Thomas I'll still be your friend, even if Jemma hates you."

"See, you have Teresa." Jemma smiled.

Thomas raised his eyebrows. "If you don't admit to not hating me, you'll never see your precious notes again!" he said in a villainous voice.

"Fat chance!" Jemma scoffed.